21. Secrets, sleepovers, and Drunk driving

Theo

I have my chin propped up on my hand, staring at absolutely nothing. I feel my thoughts collapse in my head as the world around me functions in its continuous noise. I came back to New York earlier than planned from London.

The reason is that my father is in the hospital and my mother wanted me close. I don't know much about his condition aside from the slight bits my mother tells me. No part of me feels anything but this dull feeling when I think about it. And as a result of him not being able to work, I have to cover everything.

Right now, next to me is Asher and Jordan, both drunk out of their minds and planning some Halloween party. I'm taking no part in it, probably won't even show up, so I don't really give a shit. They both showed up at my door- without invitation- and said they were bored.

I gave myself a break from work and drank with them, listening to them as they retold me their life stories like I fucking asked, and then thought they were geniuses for throwing a Halloween party on Halloween.

Now I'm sitting at the bar with them. Unsure of how every decision in my life led me here. Asher gasps randomly, and I turn to look at him to see that his eyes are lit up, and he has a big grin on his face. He makes eye contact with me, and his grin falters.

"Theo," he says, sounding like he's about to ask me for something, "You don't care who we invite right?"

"No," I mutter. I probably won't even show up.

His grin grows and he looks at Jordan with a look in his eyes. I ignore it, folding my arms down and resting my head on my forearms, closing my eyes and feeling my body fail to accommodate to let me sleep. A rarity, apparently.

Jordan furrows his brows, "What?"

"We should invite her," Asher whispers, but it's hardly a whisper.

"Ash... no. I don't think you understand," Jordan slurs.

I hear Asher mumble something about never being listened to before Jordan says, "We'd listen if you said something worth hearing."

Asher scoffs, "You know who wouldn't say that?"

Jordan sighs, "Your mom doesn't count."

I bite back my laugh. Asher groans, "I'm calling her."

"Your mom?" Jordan asks, suddenly serious. "Don't tell her what I just said, then. I still want her Christmas cookies."

"No," Asher says. "I'm calling her."

"How do you even have her number?" Jordan asks, sounding almost concerned. "Did you blackmail her?"

"No," Asher scoffs. "We're just best friends, you know."

"False!" Jordan slurs.

I lift my head, not holding back my laugh. I prop my chin on my forearms, looking at the two idiots next to me as they argue. It's entertaining.

"You can't say false to everything you don't want to hear," Asher says. "You probably don't even have her number."

"Actually, blondie, I do," Jordan glares at Asher. The phone goes to voicemail and they both fall quiet. Then Jordan laughs and says, "So much for best friend."

Asher frowns, "She's just busy."

"She always is," Jordan sighs, "It's kind of concerning, isn't it?"

Asher nods, sympathizing with Jordan. "Yeah. I haven't seen her in so long, and at this point, I don't even know if I'm a priority in her life."