Chapter 14: Home Sweet F*cking Home

Natasha

Natasha forced herself to press her fingers down, ignoring the stab in her heart when Katya's face contorted into one of pain for a split-second before the light in her eyes extinguished. She caught her quickly, protecting her head so it didn't hit against the wall or one of the cabinets. Gently, she placed her down on the floor.

Her knees hit the wooden floor as she sunk down next to Katya's unconscious body, moving her hair out of her beautiful face by slowly dragging her fingertips over her skin. She made sure she lay comfortable without it being too obvious that it was staged. It had to look like 'Melina' knocked her out.

Her eyes flickered over Katya's face, making sure to take everything in in case this was the last time she'd see her. Missions could always go wrong in the blink of an eye. But Katya looked peaceful, her long lashes touching her cheeks, which only made it worse.

It felt wrong to make her so defenseless, to not give her the chance to fight for herself. Natasha had to that for her now. A task she took more seriously than anything. She'd protect Katya with her life in there. Abandon the mission if that meant keeping her safe. Katya always came first. Not that she'd agree.

With one last deep breath, Natasha shook the emotions off her, putting her game face on. When she stood, she felt Melina stare at her. ''What?'' It came out harsher than intended. 

''I am sorry for sending her away.'' Melina's voice was soft and full of guilt, but Natasha couldn't appreciate that right now.

''Don't tell me that. Tell her.'' 

The broken look on Katya's face every time that topic came up shattered Natasha's heart over and over again. At least the redhead knew now that she had been wanted, and that the people who got money for her, regretted it immensely. But not Katya. In fact, it had only been confirmed by Alexei that they viewed her as cattle.

Natasha was anxious, annoyed. She didn't want Melina to look at them with pity. Turning to stand in front of the woman, she shook her arm and curled her hand into a fist. ''Let's get this over with.''

''I got it.'' Melina lifted her hand, firstly tapping her temple to activate the mask, then revealing the Widow Bite between her fingers. ''Good luck.'' She sunk to the ground, out cold.

Unlike with Katya, Natasha didn't adjust Melina's body. All she did was stare at the two unconscious women at her feet. She was on her own now. Completely on her own. Because knowing Dreykov, knowing the force he had previously used to try and capture them, he would bring his entire army. Yelena and Alexei would be caught before they could take more than a couple steps.

Not a moment too soon, Natasha composed herself. Because a bright blue light shone through the windows of the living room, blinding her. And the engines of not one but multiple jets filled the previously peaceful silence.

He was here. They had been found.

Her heart beat out of her chest, and she clenched her hands into fists to stop the trembling. This would have been so much better to face together with Katya. But she had to do this on her own for a short while.

Shots rang out on the other side of the house. Melina reassured her they'd use tranquilizers, not actual bullets. That didn't take away any of the worry Natasha felt for her sister, though.

A door softly opened somewhere, followed by silent footsteps. Yelena. It was obvious who she would come looking for.

After a deep breath in, Natasha stepped out into the hallway and into the kitchen to hide, leaving her wife behind. It didn't take Yelena long to appear at the armory, her gun out. But it lowered in shock when she saw the unconscious bodies of her 'sister' and her sister-in-law. Seeing her opportunity, Natasha snuck up behind her sister.