Chapter one.

Three girls sat in the school library, each of them holding a book and waiting impatiently for the reading session to be over. Around them, other students were seated too, impatience written on several  faces. If a pin was dropped to the ground, one could easily have heard it because the library was as quiet as a cemetery.
Suddenly, the bell was rung and the once quiet library became as noisy as any Lagos market could ever be. The three girls got up, simultaneously dumped their books on a shelf and walked to the library attendant's desk to retrieve their ID cards.
"chinyere Akachi"The tallest, fairest and most beautiful of the three said.
"Hold on a second miss Chinyere"The attendant said in her sing-song voice. She opened a drawer and brought out several ID cards and gave one to chinyere before gesturing for the other two to come forward.
"Ruby Gadhafi "said the petite one with dark shiny skin and sharp features.
"Patricia Aderemi"the third one with lovely brown skin and heart shaped face said.
"Alright. Here you go"the attendant handed them their cards and they walked out of the library.

"Clean air at last! "Ruby said, dramatically waving her hand in front of her beautiful northern face.
"I could smell every single person there. Ugh! "Patricia said with disgust.
"If that evil witch of a principal didn't make reading session compulsory in this school, would I even be around the library talk less of staying in it for complete one hour? So much for being the best secondary school in Nigeria. "Chinyere scoffed.
"I still wonder how you and that woman get along so well"said Patricia.
"That's because they're the same character-wise"Ruby said with a smirk.
"I wonder how the witch's face is going to be if she finds out that her dearest student called her by her nickname "Patricia looked at Chinyere in amusement.
"Oh she'll be... "
"Chinyere! "A female voice called behind them. They looked back to see Maria Amaechi, a thin red girl with short plaits.
"Oh it's the toothpick "Ruby gave a wicked grin. Maria was given the name 'toothpick' by Chinyere when they were all in junior school because of her thin stature and ever since, all the students called her toothpick.
"Chinyere... "Maria said ignoring Ruby"...i'm hosting a party tomorrow at my house and I'll like you three to come. My parents are out of Nigeria currently, so I thought to have a nice party. There'll be food and soft drinks, Chocol..... "
"Soft drinks eh?"Patricia said and the three of them laughed hysterically.
"Actually... I've never hosted a party but... "
"We don't do soft drinks baby girl. We do booze and we're not coming. What does a toothpick like you have to offer the most beautiful girls in bellgrand high? "Chinyere raised a perfectly arched brow.
"I really want you to come please " maria said on the verge of tears.
"So that you can poison us? "Ruby said scornfully.
"let's go"chinyere said and the trio walked away, leaving a tearful maria behind.