forty-three

"what the fuck mark... you're a deathless?"

the male walks closer towards seri, squatting down and met her bulging eyes, making him chuckle. after that, mark faces the other boy who was looking at him intently, his orbs full of abhorrence.

he avoids his eyes and stands up.

everything was not still sinking in for seri. her heart was throbbing in pain, remorse, and shame. she cannot process the fact that a friend- that mark... seri shuts her eyes close. no, she doesn't want to believe it.

"why are you doing this mark?" seri muffles, gulping down the lump on her throat.

"fucker," donghyuck spat, still glaring at him even though the older wasn't looking at his direction.

mark grins, "is your vocabulary limited to fuck, lee?"

"fuck off."

it only made mark grin wider. "try to work on your vocabulary, if you can. oh... you'll probably spend your last moments here, lee."

seri bit her lower lip. there's no time to feel sad over a friend's betrayal. they need to get out of here alive, she thinks.

a sharp unpleasant sound produced by two pieces of metal striking, one against the another resonated in the room as seri tries to get out of her chains. the two boys looked at her direction.

"where are we?"

mark glances at her eyes. seeing the strong emotion, maybe hatred, made mark avoid it. but he sees a hint of red around her wrists as she tries to break free.

"stop moving," mark muttered in a low voice yet audible enough for seri and hyuck to hear.

"where are we? deathless' headquarters or something?" she questioned, still moving.

mark shakes his head. "you should stop moving, seri."

donghyuck tilts his head as he tries to observe why mark was telling her to stop moving. "mark, tell us. did you plant bombs on us that's why you don't want us to move? why? if we move, does its time to explode shortens?"

"no! that sounds so hideous.." mark says, quite hesitant to continue. "it's just that seri's wrists are already bleeding."

"so you care, huh," hyuck scoffs at him. "then just let us go, mark."

seri tries to say something. she parts her lips to let her voice out but she lost the chance to speak when a raucous voice echoed around the room.

"mark, cut their tongues off," the voice says. every second, it gets louder. "they talk to much."

then the door swung open, revealing a large man who seemed to be around 178 cm tall. he had broad shoulder and a bulging tummy. his face was hidden by the shadow making it hard for the two captives to take a look on his face. mark bows down to him the moment he steps inside.

"father, why are you here?" mark says.

seri and hyuck's eyes widen. father?

the man, who mark called father, continued to walk inside, the shadow disappears as he gets near the light. the man placed his hand on mark's left shoulder and squeezed it. "i should see the sister of your brother's murderer. or maybe, i should kill her..."

the man turns his head towards seri and hyuck, both of them had their eyes wide as they recognized the man.

"assemblyman lee minhun?" seri's lips parted.

seri knew him. almost everyone knows, lee minhun is a potential candidate for presidency next year. the fact that he's related to some gang... seri blinks her eyes. and he's mark's father? seri cannot process the information. as far as seri knew, mark's an orphan and assemblyman minhun had no child, even a partner.

"before you kill her..."

all of their attention went to the tanned male who spoke.

"kill me first."

her eyes narrowed as her jaw clenched. seri wanted to kick hyuck at that very moment. she wanted to yell at him but nothing came out of her mouth. they all fell silent for a few seconds before the old man let out a laugh.

"you..." he pointed hyuck, "i like your attitude. you wanna play the hero card?" lee minhun grins wickedly.

lee minhun again reaches for mark's shoulder. he tapped it a few times as he looked at mark on his eyes. mark stiffened at the presence of his father. "my son, make me proud."