78| We failed them

ALFONZO KING'S POV (Grandpa)

"I don't understand why we need to do this, we have already won and killed those who were needed, why do we still have to kill them?" I asked, gritting my teeth and glaring angrily at my father's consigliere who looked downright smug.

"You like to speak up in front of the don?" He questioned tauntingly, knowing fully well I was too scared to oppose my father's actions.

I had been way too young when I became exposed and cognizant of the cruelty hidden behind my father's eyes and his actions. 

I had seen and experienced it first hand and I was very much aware of the fact that he doesn't care about anyone but himself. He thrived on the power and the obsession of it drives him to want for more.

His desire to reach the top had blinded him, and I was too scared to speak up against him.

I rarely agree with his ways and actions, but I have no power over him. I couldn't run away either because I, being his only son, had no other choice but to take over his mafia one day, the one that he is building up to top.

There was no way he was going to let me live if I chose to run away. He'll track me down and torture me in ways far more brutal than anything I have been acquainted to till this date.

"You want my advice, do what he says. He gave you this job because he's testing you. Don't do anything to anger him, we both know how that would end for you and your mother." He said staring right into my eyes as I could see the pity behind them and yet hear the discourtesy and taunting behind his voice.

"I fucking promise you'll die from my hands one day." I said the same line to him for the hundredth fucking time.

"I'll eagerly await the day when you staple some balls, but for now, do as your father says." He responded.

I didn't say anything else, as I took out my gun and made my way inside the house, the one that I'd been standing outside of for a couple hours ago.

Inside is the family of the ex-don of the American Mafia that my father had recently conquered, and the manner in which he did so was the most barbaric act I had ever seen him perform.

He destroyed the mafia-don in ways I never imagined possible, and now he wants me to kill his family. He didn't want any survivors who were related to the ex-don to be left alive.

He had already killed the rest of his family, even the most distant ones, except his wife and his two kids that had been in hiding until now.

I was assigned the task of killing them, but I didn't want to do it.

They were innocent but according to my father, we couldn't afford any living relatives of the people who we killed because a mere sense of self determination could be the reason for our destruction.