11. The Contentedness Of Jacob Black

"I brought us a blanket and your new favorite dessert," Jacob said as he got out of his car

"I brought us a blanket and your new favorite dessert," Jacob said as he got out of his car. "Your brother let you take his car?"

"Well, now that depends on your definition of 'he let me'. It's a loose term and if you meant that I asked for the keys, took them from him, and bailed without so much as an explanation, then yes, he totally let me take his car."

Jacob laughed and kissed her cheek as she took the blanket from him. Lizzie threw it up onto the roof of the Jeep that was parked just outside the 'Welcome to Forks' sign. It was established as their getaway spot after the first time they came here. It was far enough away from both their families but close enough to the town line. The perfect place for them to hide away from everyone and just enjoy each other's company.

Jacob climbed onto the Jeep's roof first before extending his hand and helping Lizzie up after. They spread out the food they each brought for their short notice dinner date. Lizzie pulled out something from her jean jacket pocket and grabbed Jacob's hand. He looked at her, questioningly.

"I got you something. Well, two somethings since someone told me I missed out on your birthday by knowing you two days too late."

"Would that someone be Seth or Leah?"

Jacob smiled knowingly. Lizzie hadn't met any other of Jacob's friends, he wanted her too but was waiting for the right time to butter his dad and Harry Clearwater up. Seth and Leah hung out with Lizzie though, whenever they and Jacob had time he'd take them with him to see Lizzie. Childhood rez stories were famous between the three, excluding Jacob, who had no idea how much he was made fun of by Leah. Birthdays came up randomly during one of their conversations. Seth mentioned how they had a family gathering for Jacob's and it was a bummer they didn't know Lizzie sooner.

"Seth."

"Well, to be fair how we met was pretty much luck."

"Yeah if only Bella had come to town sooner and my dad had finished those files quicker," Lizzie joked.

Jacob grinned with a nod, he really couldn't agree more. He then looked down to watch as a bracelet was clipped around his wrist. It was black and leather with a small wolf charm at the end.

"Wow, it's beautiful."

"I thought you might like it," Lizzie smiled as Jacob traced the charm with his finger.

"Yeah, I do! It reminds me of those ones in Port Angelos that Mr. Parker sells... Oh, he's the---"

"Bookshop owner. Yeah, I went with Bella, she wanted a book there. I saw it on the counter and it reminded me of you."

"Thanks, Lizzie," Jacob grinned. "Really, it means a lot. Outsiders don't normally buy Rez gifts for us." She smiled back at him.

They went to eat but just like back at the art shop, Jacob's hair was getting in the way if his frustrated frown had anything to say about it. Lizzie gave a small laugh before handing him yet another scrunchie. He gratefully took it throwing his hair up in a bun before they continued.

"So, when's your birthday? And don't think I'm not getting you anything," Jacob warned as the two started to eat.

"It's in the winter. September 26th."

They ate everything. Jacob helped clean up, setting everything in the backseat of the Jeep. He then climbed back onto the roof and laid down to admire the night sky that was slowly creeping up on them. Lizzie joined him, lying her head down on his chest as his arm went around her middle.

The stars shone down on them as she started to tell him different stories from her life. She told him about Alaska, Maine, New Orleans, and even Mystic Falls. She made sure to leave all the supernatural out of it, she even tweaked some details so she didn't sound a decade older than she was.

Lizzie gently lifted her head from Jacob's chest when she heard his heartbeat slow. He had fallen asleep. Lizzie brought her hand up to let her fingers brush the misbehaving strands of hair out of his face before lying back down again. She felt content like this, something she hadn't been before. She listened to the quiet still of the night, the humming of the wilderness around them, and the soft breathes emitting from Jacob as he slept. He would wake up sooner or later.

"Hey, how late is it?" Jacob asked when he finally stirred.

Lizzie let out a small murmur as if just waking up herself. "No idea," she groggily spoke. "But we better get going before either of our families start any search parties for us."

"Yeah," Jacob agreed. He kissed the top of Lizzie's head as they went to leave.

✦✦✦

Sleeping over at Bella's house that night if only to avoid her family's questions, Lizzie flopped down on the bed beside her favorite human friend.

"He kissed you!"

"Geez, Bells," Lizzie winced slightly. "Could you say that any louder?"

"Sorry! But he kissed you."

"Yes, but it's only been the once so far."

"It doesn't matter," Bella dismissed. "How did it happen? When did it happen? Come on, you have to tell me everything."

Lizzie chuckled, Bella sounded like Alice. But nevertheless, she told the girl everything that happened up until earlier that night when she left her at the house. She repeated everything Jake had said to her and mimicked just how he initiated their first kiss. Bella laughed, even giggled a bit. She couldn't imagine the boy she grew up with before moving to Phoenix the one who baked mudpies with her could pull off the moves he did.

Lizzie smiled, it felt nice to have Bella to talk to. Edward couldn't read her mind and so as long as she kept quiet Lizzie and Jake were safe, for now. Sometimes she thought about telling her family since they'd never had secrets between them before. But decided against it, not when Jacob had the potential to wolf out on her. Esme and Carlisle would be understanding of course, but the rest, even Alice would argue with Lizzie about it being a danger and she didn't feel like that fight anytime soon.

They talked a bit more before Bella finally went to bed around midnight. The girl could hardly keep her eyes open as she crawled under the covers and Lizzie situated herself in front of the writing desk. She'd brought a book to read and a Bon Jovi album to listen to, to pass the time of night. Suddenly, Edward climbed through the window and appeared in the corner of the dark-lit room, both Cullen siblings looking at each other in shock and surprise.

"What are you doing here?"

"Me?" Lizzie stared at her brother. "I'm here for a sleepover. What are you doing climbing through your girlfriend's window when she's asleep?"

Edward ignored the question. "Are you staying the whole night?"

Lizzie rolled her eyes and went back to reading. "Yep, that is the plan."

About five minutes went by when she looked up from her book to see her brother still there, sitting in the corner chair and watching Bella sleep.

"Uh, Eddie, do you do this often? You know... watch her sleep?"

He sighed and mimicked her previous action of rolling her eyes.

"Very stalker creepy, bro."