iv. dinner party disaster

CHAPTER FOUR

EVERYONE ALWAYS SAYS CHANGE IS a beautiful thing, that it permits unknown and more promising opportunities to descend into your world. To Jimena, the shift in her life arrived in a wave of a rush as she had no further option than to permit change. To allow it to destroy what she once considered normal and rebuild on clear pavement. Nevertheless, even with her new perspective, she couldn't shake her discomfort as soon as she entered the Govender Rossi residence. The once second home carried misery: the memories of her past trampling against her thoughts.

Everything appeared foreign, from the tableware modification to the living room decor. The bookshelf that formerly harbored the finest poetry and a wide selection of traditional tales was swapped with new wooden cabinets sealing portions of wine. 

Soley, the one item remaining consistent after Jimena's term away is the absence of Camilla's parents. Both Miranda and Tommaso Govender Rossi were hardly ever there. Their lack of presence left the house vacant and accessible for the teens to do whatever they please — reminding the brunette why she used to adore spending her time in the lavish home. 

Well, that and other things, or perhaps a particular person.

Her hand twisted around the wooden chopsticks pushing against her serving of lo mein. She wasn't quite hungry. Instead, Jimena felt her head beginning to spin on account of her rumbling reflections. Her stomach gurgled as she gazed at her dinner plate, comprehending that it would form its way back up if she took one bite.

"Well, I think he's cute," Camilla smirked eagerly, gently driving a strand of her caramel locks behind her ear. The girl instantly acquired Jimena from her thoughts — causing her to wonder how much of the discussion had she missed. Their group had already been seated for the past two hours: surrounding the dining table, gossiping over the latest drama (or what they considered important news).

"He set fire to his last school," Brenda added. Simply repeating one of the million vicious rumors she'd heard of the boy. "That's why they kicked him out."

"He barely spoke two words," Jimena chimed in, her eyes lingering on her cherry red glass of wine, contemplating whether to take a sip. Camilla's head lying against her palms. Her perfectly sculpted brows raised in confusion. Due to Damiano being the first time, Jimena had spoken in the last forty minutes. "All he said was his name in homeroom. How could everyone know everything about him already?"