0:01

It felt weird being in the city of Chicago again

It felt weird being in the city of Chicago again. As someone who never repeats the same city twice, something had drawn her back - and it felt nerve-wracking to feel the same wind brush upon her skin, and the same sky-kissing buildings tower above her.

With her never-say-die attitude, and tenacity, each new beginning has always been refreshing - something she needed within her body to survive. To still stand on top of the world, where she believed she could see anything coming her way.

The sun sits clearly at the edge of the earth, kissing the last of the skyline as it gets ready to bid farewell, or maybe see you later, as it shall soon rise again - announcing the next day. It was the time of the golden hour, as Shane found her fingers touching the rough edges of the building. Head lifted, she gazed at the masterpiece that is the sky, as she smelt the moist air trying to calm her heart.

Not because she was scared, no, but she did not know what to expect. Her last experience in Chicago left a bad taste on her tongue, but she had to make due with what was at hand.

She found it weird that her interview was set for seven o'clock sharp, when normal people held interviews at seven, eight in the morning. She even thought that the assistant had gotten it all wrong, swapped the p.m. for the a.m., but when she wrote an email back to confirm, the confirmation came back, written solidly that it was indeed being held in the evening.

However, to get ready for this interview, she found herself on google, the best asset a girl could ever have, researching the company - finding out if it was indeed legit, and the history of it all. These are some of the things she had learnt when it came to preparing for an interview. When you praise the company, and align your vision with theirs - it's easy to get a call back, and a job within your pocket.

Yes, the industry was tough, and you needed to have all the good connections, but sometimes a little determination never hurt anyone - and being able to be persuasive, innovative and playing with their mind until they are putty in your hands - it simply never hurt anyone.

That's how she knew she had this one, just like the others, in the palm of her hands. Haines City, the auto body shop, would simply never know what hit them.

Reality set in, when she stood at the intersection, cars hooting, tires scratching the surface of the tar, with a painful screech sent to the ear, here and again. The traffic. It was definitely the traffic she did not miss when it came to this city, but it was definitely better than New York.

Thinking about it now, she definitely should have taken the cruiser out for a spin to the workplace but wanted to feel the concrete beneath her black platform boots, and show the world, though it did not care, the outfit she picked for today. A white solid form-fitting turtleneck top, leather jacket on top, with black jeans on.

This was no formal place, and thus one had to dress for the occasion.

As the lights turn red, she quickly makes her way across the street, alongside the group of people engulfing her. She can barely feel the weight of her locs as they are wrapped in a black headwrap, leaving just the tail out to feel the air.