Chapter 24

I threw it in the lake before the man approached.

I felt it was only right that the ring lay devoured by the thing that took away my future.

I didn't want the man approaching me to take advantage of my desperation. But believe me, I am desperate because I would give away the world to have him back.

My head pounded, but I needed a plan. A plan to convince this horrible, greedy man that it was in his best interest to bring him back. However the only thing that popped up in my head is that I'm absolutely fucked.

I could hear his voice once again, but this time I heard the words accompanying it.

"I say we call it a tie," he joked. His laugh booming through the field, it rang in my ears which only enhanced the headache I had.

He still stood a couple yards away, leaving me kneeling by Dream's body.

The way he could joke at a time like this made me sick, sick enough that I wanted to kill him.

I doubt it was even possible but if he denied his help, I would find a way. Gods above I would.

"I won," my voice cracked after spending so long crying, "I didn't kill him, so I won your stupid bet."

DreamXD didn't move or say a word. He only stood there, utterly useless.

"Bring him back," I yell at him.

He had an immense amount of power, I didn't doubt that this would be an easy task for him to do. It didn't matter though, not until I gave him a reason to because a man like him would do nothing out of the goodness of his heart.

He stalked toward me and when he got close enough he asked, "Now do you believe me to be a God, (Y/n)?"

I believe him to be a bitch.

I narrowed my eyes, "I don't care if you are God or the fucking devil. Bring him back."

He didn't say anything back, instead he crouched on to the other side of Dream and put his hand on his forehead.

Forgive me but for a second I had hope.

Then he took his hand off and raised his head, "I don't think I will."

Bastard. I was raging now, so much so I could feel my body heating up. I needed a plan but I couldn't even think.

I'm failing him, at this moment, I'm going to be the reason he is dead.

So instead of coming up with a way to manipulate him into bringing my boyfriend back, I tell him the truth. My sad, depressing truth.

"I have nothing to offer you DreamXD. I don't have money, land or a title. I can't offer you anything in exchange for your help," I take a breath, "Only a promise. A promise that if you bring him back, I won't use every one of my days to find a way to destroy you. Believe me when I say, I wouldn't stop until you were on the ground begging me for mercy. There is nothing scarier than someone who has nothing else to live for."

I waited while he calculated every word I said, letting it sink in. However he just shook his head. "I am not scared of you."

"Really?" I angled my head in the most condescending way I could manage, "I thought that was the exact reason you made this bet in the first place. I think you found out about the dark, ancient power that is dormant in my veins and that scared you. No, I think that terrified you."

I now stood up, "I may be young to you, but my power isn't. If you don't bring Dream back I will let it take over, only so I can be strong enough to kill you."

It was a bluff. I would never turn myself into who I was just hours ago, only because that is why Dream died in the first place. He died so my life wouldn't be spent in the darkness, that is why in the end he went into the light.

This time DreamXD contemplated it, until he too stood up. Maybe in his own way to condescend me, to make me feel small compared to a man of his size.

"I'm an ancient being, so I know many stories. Stories more ancient than me. Now I will give you the honor of telling you one."

I didn't want a story, I wanted Dream. I wanted this to be over. Why wasn't he doing anything?

"There once was a girl who lived in a country doomed from its beginnings. She had a pure heart, one that not many in her country had. She was a girl made of hope and dreams. However this pure heart was always destined to be used against her and one day it was. The country she would have died for, gave her a proposition. Told her to go and never come back, but in return her country would live, would thrive without her. If she were to say no, everyone she loved would die. Do you know what she chose, (Y/n)?"

I didn't know if I could breathe, so I said nothing.

"She left a day later to her new life. This new life changed her. Little by little she stopped being the pure hearted girl, but one that had self-hatred. Self-hatred because she fell in love with a man that had no goodness in him. One that would wage war and not take an extra minute to fall asleep at night. She hated herself so much she would have rather left and lived in a country that had given her away, that didn't want her just so she wouldn't feel the guilt of being with a man that made her more happy than she had ever known."

A tear streamed down my cheek. I wish he would stop because his words are hurting me.

"However they rejected her so she had no choice but to stay. So she cried not because of the people she lost but because she had lost herself. She didn't feel like a martyr anymore but a villain. However she felt about herself she tried to make up for it, to change back. Sparing the life of someone she felt she betrayed in hopes she would be good again. Then he killed her. Despite it all her heart never changed back. Love is written by the angels and hatred is written by the fallen ones. So who wrote this story?"

He took a step closer to where I stood. "Tell me."

I winced when his hand gripped onto my wrist.

"I thought you were going to tell me an ancient story, this one I'm afraid still doesn't have its ending," I gritted out and yanked my hand out of his.

"But you are wrong. This story was written a long time ago. Sometimes it was written with different paths but everytime the girl betrayed, hated and loved. Everytime the girl ended up with a man that was anything but good. Everytime, (Y/n), the story ended in the same way. Do you care to know how it ends?"

I betrayed them because they betrayed me first.

I hated myself because I refused to accept my own happiness in exchange for hurting others.

I loved him because even when I was a betraying or hateful bitch, he believed me to be someone better.

"It ends how I choose it to, because I write my own story. It ends with me being with the man I'd gladly do it all again for. I don't care if that means I'd have to die again or if that means I would have to forget who I am. I choose all the pain because it made me who I am. I don't know if my heart will ever be pure again but what I do know is that it belongs to him," I answered his question.

DreamXD didn't respond, he turned and walked away.

Bastard. Bastard. Bastard.

"Bring him back," I yelled.

I fell back onto my knees, next to Dream and closed my eyes.

"You heard her, bring him back," another man's voice said, one I haven't heard in a long time.

When I looked up and saw him, I smiled for the first time in awhile.