Chapter 25: Genie in a Bottle

"What are you doing here?"

My voice surely displayed the anger I was feeling as my body shook involuntarily.

The girl's eyes became saucers as the time seemed to drag on. With each passing second, she looked more and more like the culprit she was.

I had to refrain myself from doing something illegal as she stood up off her knees.

Genie's hands were held up in mock surrender as she gazed at me warily.

And as she should.

Because I was tethering on the edge of repeating my past mistake and saying a few irrational words once more.

She had tricked me...again.

This occurrence was starting to make me question if this was a habit of hers, or did this behavior only apply to me as she's always in a position in which she's forced to lie?

But did that make it justifiable?

Here I was thinking this entire time that I had the company of a wanderlust black cat, but instead it was my mischievous ex-best friend.

Almost as if she could see the words through the mirrors of my eyes, she flinched and began speaking with a low and wholesome tone. "I know you're shocked and upset that I um...became a cat."

"In my apartment at that," I gritted out, tossing in the important part she purposely omitted. "While we're at a point in our friendship that is undeniably close to becoming estranged. Be sure to include that, Genie. Don't leave it out. You know, it's not too late to do the right thing with all the details you've excluded in the past."

She bit down onto her lips, glancing down at the floor guiltily.

I couldn't even begin to feel any ounce of pity for her.

My mind was on overdrive about every single incident and words I had foolishly given to the cat — thinking she was nothing more than that.

A mere domestic animal that I could have vented to—confide in—without getting anything but a 'meow' in return.

The embarrassment started to creep up on me.

Our sole spectator, Cupid, looked between the two of us, having caught a feel of the atmosphere.

I let out a frustrated groan at his visible sympathy for her.

"Gosh, can I even predict your deceptive actions anymore? What are you gonna do next? Become an actual genie in a bottle?"

My eyes were staring her down with brutality.

She snorted in indignation at my words, but reverted to becoming apologetic once they narrowed onto her.

"I didn't mean to do it. It was second nature if anything. I was...worried about you and I didn't want you to be alone. Isabelle, I'm sorry for slapping you. I never want to do anything like that again. I never want us to argue like that ever again. I was just so angry that you would bring up my past scars, knowing how much they would hurt me."

Anyone would have felt touched by her words but I couldn't help but still feel upset and borderline flummoxed.

She was worried about me?

If she was, she wouldn't have done things the way she had and continued to do! Her actions don't match her words pretty well. It was honestly irritating.

"I don't know if anything is real anymore, Genie! No matter what I had said, you should've been tolerant because you lied to me. For such a long period of time. I was in a state of my entire world crumbling before me. Do you even know how that feels? I admit, bringing up your family was a low blow and yes, I actually wanted to see you hurt like how I was feeling at the moment. I can sincerely apologize to you for that, but you made me into such a fool for all the years we've known each other. Should I have not acted angry? Should I have not reacted at all? Was that so wrong of me?"