Chapter 7

Highly recommend playing the music when it gets mentioned.

Madelaina :

Another hour goes by and I am not any less anxious than a was before.

I've spoken to exactly seven more people since I saw Lucas, all short encounters thankfully.

My family is stood at the far end of the ballroom, still in deep conversation with the Agostis.

I do feel guilty for not being there and welcoming them along with my parents and sister but I just can't do it.

With the pressure of a close conversation added to the pressure of not being able to handle a room full of people.....I just can't.

I am still wallowing in self pity when I feel a shift in the air.

Looking to my right, I find Lucas leaning against the wall beside me.

He is clad in an all black suit. The blazer open and the top few buttons of his white shirt undone.

"Lovely ball, isn't it?" He speaks to me as if we've done it a thousand times before.

I blink before turning back towards the people and wringing my hands behind me back.

"It is." I respond.

"Really?"

"Yes." My eyebrows furrow.

"You sure about that?" His eyebrows raise.

"Y..yes?"

Is he okay?

"You sure?"

"Wha...yeah."

Is he high?

"You sur...?"

"I'm sure!" I whip my head back in his direction.

He raises his hands in surrender, a stupid smirk on his face.

"Relax. I was just skeptical." His hands return to his pockets.
"I mean, how would you even know? You've been attached to the wall the entire time."

Has he been watching me?

"How would you know? You've only been here for an hour. I've been here longer than that. I could have walked around the entire room."

"Okay, fair enough. Did you?"

I bite my bottom lip and return my head to its previous position.

"That's what I thought."

I roll my eyes.

"I don't need to be out there to know what's going on anyway. I can tell perfectly well from here."

"Oh yeah? And how's that?"

"Observation."

"Observation?"

"Observation."

He moves himself so he is still leaning against the wall but is now on his side.

"Explain it to me."

"What? You don't know what observation means?"

"Nope."

I swear, if I catch that smirk one more time, I'm going to cut it off his face.

I take a deep breath in and let it back out.

"Observation. The action or process of closely...."