17

Merlin's dreams that night were incredibly troubling. The contents were not the most troubling part. The part that got to him was that he had no idea whether it had been an actual vision or just his own hopes manifesting in his dreams.

He found himself in Arthur's chambers in Camelot, but instead of Arthur standing in front of him, it was three women.

"What now?" He knew he would be more respectful, and if they had shown in person, and not in dream form, he might have been.

"It"

"is"

"time."

"Great. Time for what?" Merlin asked.

"Do"

"not"

"interrupt"

"us"

"boy." Merlin resisted the urge to interrupt again.

"It"

"is"

"time." Merlin rolled his eyes. Of course they had to start over.

"He"

"has"

"returned." Merlin's heart began to race in his chest.

"You"

"must"

"find"

"him"

"in"

"the"

"place"

"of"

"shade."

"Find"

"him"

"and"

"restore"

"Albion"

"before"

"it"

"is"

"too"

"late."

Assuming they were done, Merlin let out an annoyed sigh. "Can you possibly be more cryptic? What the hell is the 'place of shade?' Is he hiding under a tree." The women growled in unison, and then they were gone. "Oh come on!" Merlin shouted.

He woke up a moment later, feeling not at all rested, and incredibly annoyed. It could have just been his mind coping with almost having Arthur back, or it could have actually been a vision. Considering how annoying the goddess had been, he was going with vision, and if that was just the hope that Arthur was really back, well, no one needed to know about it. Merlin lay in bed, pondering the clue. The place of shade. What the hell did that mean?

Merlin looked over at the clock. He should be getting ready. He had a very important talk with Freya that would decide his and Iris' entire futures today. As much as he wanted to go out and find Arthur right this second, he was no longer Arthur's servant, and had his own life to tend to. Besides, he didn't even know for sure if Arthur had returned. One problem at a time.

He and Iris drove to work together, as usual.

"Lunch to discuss the case?" she asked as they entered the precinct.