Chapter 2

"Two laps ladies! Lets go this isn't lunch hour!"

My new coach was a college field hockey player. She got recruited to a Big Ten school. She first noticed me at a tournament. Then she saw me again when I beat the shit out of her girls, 21-5 to be exact.

"Gather around girls I have something to tell all of you," she looks worried, "as you know we have too many girls however, we don't have enough to make a whole other team. If you aren't picking up what I am getting at, I have to make major cuts. There are 16 of you. I only need six at once, six of you will be cut tonight. However that being said two people today don't have to try out, they are already on the team because they are amazing athletes and have a lot to bring to the team. The two athletes are Erika and Morgan. You two get to watch the scrimmage and when I need help making a judgement call I expect you two to help me out. Understand?"

"Yes coach," we say in unison.

"Alright you two go sit down everyone else look at this chart I made of your teams go ahead and get into your positions."

As I go to sit down with my certain to be teammate Erika I hear the other girls start to talk shit about us. There little comments don't phase me because these girls aren't my friends. I have the ability to be able to make friends very easily, I sure as hell don't need these fake girls to act like they are my friends.

"Coach can we use the bathroom," Erika asks.

We? Who does she mean by we?

"Sure, be quick though."

Erika stands up and looks at me.

"Are you coming?"

"What you meant me," I ask shocked. Is this girl really about to be your friend? What if she's just like the rest of them? All these questions keep running through my head.

Almost as if she can read my mind she say, "I'm not like those other snakes, I promise."

I let out a laugh and decide to go with her.

"Looks like you will be my only friend on the team. The rest of those girls hate my guts and they for sure hate yours. You should have heard all the shit they were saying about you in the locker room yesterday," she laughs but in a friendly way though so it's sort of comforting. I can tell that she genuinely likes me though.

"I am fully aware that they hate me with a burning passion."

"That's an understatement," Erika says and we both laugh.

"Hey are you going to that party tonight," I ask hoping that she's going. She'll be the only person that I some-what know other than Chase.

"Yeah, did you get invited?"

"Yeah, Chase invited me in bio class," she stops short and turns around to look at me. I am almost scared about her reaction.

"Wait-you don't mean Chase Monroe right," I rack my brain trying to remember what the teacher called out for his last name... unfortunately, because of her reaction, I am almost ashamed to admit that I do think that his last name is Monroe.

"Fuck, yeah I think that was his last name," I am beyond worried that she is going to tell me about him. I am. Praying he isn't like a murdered or anything. "Should I be worried about something," I ask dreading her response.

"He's very good looking but he's a huge player," I know what she said still isn't a good thing but I am almost relived to find out he didn't do anything horrible, "Just be careful with him."

"I promise I will," I say with a small chuckle.

"Anyways what are you wearing to the party," she asks as we continue to walk to the bathroom.

"I was planning on going to the mall-," she cuts me off

"Girl just come to my house I have plenty of stuff for you to wear, we're about the same size,"

"Okay sounds good to me."

"You have a car, right," Erika asks.

I am skeptical at first, "Yeah, why?"

"Ugh, I got mine talking away for 'having and attitude,'" she uses air quotes to emphases the dramatics. "So if we go we are going to have to take your car."

"Sounds like a plan to me," I say happy to have made at leased one friend.