vii. the father

Slater woke the next morning having slept better than she had in months. Her eyes fluttered open, seeing that the sun was high and streaming in through her windows. She smiled, only noticing that when she tried to get out of bed, she couldn't.

In her dazed state, she noticed that two arms, laden with bracelets, were encircled around her waist.

JJ.

Slater's eyes went wide and she turned to look at the sleeping pogue, who looked content and peaceful after a very rough night. She froze, unsure what to do. Cuddling with JJ was not a position she ever imagined herself getting into.

The sunlight settled on his blond locks, making him look like a golden angel as he slept.

Too bad he had to wake up, Slater thought to herself with a smirk.

As she tried escaping his arms, he stirred, and she watched his baby blues flutter open.

"JJ," she whispered, a teasing smirk on her face. "Care to let me go?"

He simply grumbled and shut his eyes again, clearly not aware of their current situation.

"JJ," Slater repeated. "Wake up, please."

His eyes opened again, this time settling on Slater's face.

"Slater?" He groaned.

"Morning, sunshine."

He glanced down at his arms, which still held onto her waist, and immediately recoiled, pushing himself away from her. "Umm, sorry," he said, his cheeks reddening.

"It's okay," she said with a laugh. "Who would have pegged JJ Maybank as a cuddler?"

"I'm a ruthless cuddler, ask anyone," he muttered, sitting up to stretch out his arms. "But let's not tell the others about this, okay?"

"Deal," Slater said. God only knew what the pogues would have to say about Slater taking JJ home in the first place, and she definitely didn't want them to know about their impromptu cuddle session — or that she might have secretly enjoyed it.

"How are you feeling?" Slater asked, wondering if the boy was hungover.

"Not shabby, actually," he admitted. "Thank you, though. For picking me up. I mean it," he said, his eyes locking on Slater's. "I was in a really bad place last night."

Slater nodded, a sympathetic smile filling her face. "It's no biggie, JJ. I know you and I don't really see eye-to-eye, but if you ever need something like that, please just give me a call. It's much worse than finding you drunk in a ditch or something."

He nodded before running a hand through his hair. "Are your parents home?" he asked, nervously glancing at Slater's locked bedroom door.

She glanced at her phone, and seeing how late in the morning it was already, she shook her head. Her dad would have been long gone to the station, and her mother to the shop.

"What about your sister?" he asked.

"Maeve rarely goes anywhere I don't drive her to, so I'm sure she's still home. But don't worry about her, she's very trustworthy. She's almost too suspiciously perfect of a little sister," Slater laughed.

"I don't suppose it would be too much to ask of you to drive me home?" JJ asked sheepishly.

"Are you sure it's safe for you to go home?" Slater asked.

JJ nodded. "The old man is gone by now, and I'll probably just shower and change before going to find John B."

Slater nodded. "Okay. Well, let me just change my clothes, and then I can take you home."