Chapter Seven: Try Making Jokes

Rome Ramirez

Have you ever had to physically hold back your boyfriend so he wouldn't run to the kitchen or anywhere else to get something to try and end his life because he was so miserable and hopeless that he couldn't wait any longer?

For literally anyones sake, I hope they say no to that question.

Because having to do that broke a little part of me.

Like, did he scratch hard enough to draw blood? Yes, he did.

But it wasn't as sharp or as brutal as any blade would have been and that's literally the compensation I'm working with right now because only after be exhausted himself was I able to call the ER to tell them that I was on my way with him, he was suicidal and self harming but he was asleep for now.

I grabbed his bag, threw his comfort sweater in it with a few other small things thar shouldn't get taken away and literally carried him to my car.

Luckily the drive was short so he didn't wake up in the car and freak out, but once we got there, they had a side room all ready for him since he was asleep so they wouldn't attend him immediately anyways. They asked me how we were related and I told them he was my boyfriend and then I offered to call his parents because they need to show.

I called Paul first, knowing he was already off work.

"Rome, hi!" Paul exclaimed as he answered my call, me definitely being on speaker over his car Bluetooth. "I know Rachel told you what happened, I'm on the way home, it'll just be a few minutes! Do you guys need something from the store, or...? I can stop if need be."

"No, no stop is needed," I reassured my boyfriend's step dad. "Um, yeah, Rachel told me what happened and then everyone proceeded to come over not only to tell Percy about it but for the brothers to ask him if he knew about the gods and who his dad was and..."

My voice drifted off.

"They were only there for a few minufes before leaving for camp," I went on because I has to. I was right outside of Percy's room, looking in just in case he woke up. "But they just... Said it all either beer bluntly or were just seemingly infacuated with his dad or just... He told them he didn't want to go to camp, obviously, but once they left he just... Last night he was super anxious and after they left he was just devastated. Destroyed. He.."

I stopped for a second, looking into the room as Percy had one of his forearms wrapped from the scratching.

It was heartbreaking.

"I had to physically hold him back so he wouldn't so anything or grab anything to hurt and probably try to kill himself in doing so," I said in a tone that I hoped was side enough. "Um... Yeah. He scratched at his arms a bit but we're at the hospital right now, in the mental health ER wing. Exhausted himself so he's asleep currently. They can't do much until you or Sally are here so... Either way he's asleep and he's not in physical critical condition but... He is mentally. I figured I'd call you first because I knew you were off and the insurance is also through your job, not Sallys."

"I... Oh my gods, yeah," Paul responded after a moment. "I um... Yeah, it is. Thank you so much for being there, Rome, I will be there in a few minutes okay? I'll call Sally in like ten minutes when she goes on her last break. Thank you, Rome, I know that sort of thing can be really hard to sit through. You're an amazing boyfriend."

"I... Do what I can," but I didn't know what to say back to that. "but yeah just room 172. We'll be here."

Hearing the end tone click, I moved the phone away from my ear and noticed a text from Grover. Which... Seemed surprising just considering the fact that Logan and Quinn are at camp now.