Chapter 23: I'm here, Let's Eat

After that heaven-defying conversation with Maria, I quickly send Selena home along with the two knights before she could say another word to bully me or make some money. I also wrote a letter to my brother saying that I'll be staying here until tomorrow.

I am sure that my brother will secretly come here to fetch me and visit his beloved. I am giving him a chance to visit Maria tomorrow, he should thank his generous big sister later hehe~.

"Butler Jonas," I called for the person who assisted me. "I want to request an audience with the Duke, tell him that I'll be staying here until tomorrow, and please don't tell Maria that I will talk to the Duke later," 

"The Lady will stay here?" The butler asked.

I smiled at him, "Yes, I heard that there will be a festival here tomorrow. I want to stay because I'm curious," I responded to him. "I also wanted to stay with Maria longer."

The Butler took a breath of relief, "That's a relief," The butler said to me. I gave him a confused look. "The Young Miss looks really happy to be with you, Lady Gabriella. The Duke is even in relief when The Lady came for the young miss..."

"I can see what you mean, I mean seriously speaking," I said while imagining Duke Evan and Maria's interaction with each other. 

"But Maria told me that... I mean..." According to Maria, her father is acting, "weird..."

The butler let out a laugh. "It's probably because the Young miss isn't used to the Duke's affection," The Butler replied.

"Affection?" I immediately gave him a weird expression. 

Heh, That stiff face...?

If I am Maria I will really find him weird.

"Don't give me that look, Lady Gabriella. His Grace is really capable of giving affection. In fact, he is currently raising cat in his office, " The butler said with laughter. "His Grace just brought it home last year, when we asked him why? he said that the cat looks like his daughter."

I almost choked with my own breath when the butler said that.

GEEZ! Don't tell me the Duke is comparing his daughter to a cat?!

"Ahem, Why are you telling me this?" I asked him.

"The Young Miss is close with Lady Gabriella," The Butler replied. "The Duke seems comfortable with Lady Gabriella as well..." The butler paused. 

I immediately get what he wanted to say, but I slowly shook my head.

"If you're asking me to help him... Then let me tell you the truth, I don't think Maria will need it," I said honestly to Butler Jonas. I could still remember how Maria described the Duke with her words. 

'He's not capable of loving! Don't like him!'

"Right now, I am not sure how Maria views her father, but I am sure that she won't just accept any of his 'affections'." Butler Jonas's face dropped as he listened to my explanation. "However," I paused. 

"If the Duke is really sincere, then maybe... there is a chance..."

Well, just maybe,

Since Maria's heart is not a stone...

And the Duke never really wronged her directly or intentionally...

But If I were him I will target Maria's baby!

The Whit--- I mean the Duke can probably make it up with his grandchild.

"I understand, My Lady," The Butler replied. He took a deep breath as he shrugs his shoulders. "Looks like the Young Miss Maria have gained a great friend. Lady Gabriella seems to be considerate with our Young Miss."

I only smiled at him.

I, as well, have found a great friend...

And a great wife for my lil' bro hehe~

"Ah! Butler,  I heard that Maria is picky with her food, I can cook for her since I'll be staying here," I snapped when I remembered that Maria is craving for my unprofessional cooking. "Can I use the kitchen?"

"Yes, My Lady. His grace has already given his permission to use the manor's private kitchen. The young miss has been mentioning your cooking especially your cookies to the Duke." The Butler answered. "That's why the Duke told us that in case Lady Gabriella asked me to use the kitchen I will bring My Lady directly to the private kitchen."

"Ho~ I feel especial ah," I unconsciously replied but the butler only laugh.

"I will take you to the kitchen and inform the Young Miss. I will also ask the servants to ready some comfortable clothes for you, My Lady"

"Thank you, Butler Jonas," I said as he takes me to the kitchen.

"There is no need to thank me, My Lady. I am merely doing my job."

••••

When I finished cooking at the 'Private Kitchen'. I quickly asked a servant to call Gabriella and help me to arrange the food in the dining room. I was actually surprised because no one in this manor tried to stop or said anything about the dishes I have cooked for Maria.

They just helped me instead, they even let me do anything I wanted to do. It feels like I own the kitchen HAHA!

But what surprised me the most is when I found a sack of rice in that kitchen. 

Damn yes! I am craving for rice for days! If this is a gift from heaven, then I thank you, White-haired-- Duke!

Ahem.

You're an angel with a stiff face!

"I will be rude if I didn't invite the Duke to eat," I uttered. "I mean this is his manor..."I rubbed my chin as I quickly glanced at the servant who was arranging the plates. "Excuse me. Can you call the Duke for dinner?" I asked her.

The servant stopped arranging the plates. "My Lady, His Grace informed us that he won't be able to join his daughter for dinner," She replied politely. "The Duke is currently busy doing his work."

"Oh, I see..."

That's a relief...

I bet it will be an awkward scene for me if the 'Stiff Duke' and his 'Wintered Face Daughter' eat at the same table... I can imagine the whole scene vividly...

Well, I'll meet him up later, I'll just bring him some food.

But first, I have to deal with his daughter. 

I let out a smile when I saw a white-haired lady coming in my direction. "Maria, the food is ready," I said then I let out a warm smile. "Come here while the food is still warm."

Maria stopped walking when I said that to her. Her eyes went to the food at the table before glancing back at me, "Gabriella," She said. A bright smile appeared on her face, "I'm here, Let's eat"

And that was the first time that the servants at the Chavez Manor saw their Young Miss with a smile.