Chapter 14: Birthday

Dumating ang weekend at naghanda kami ni Anabeth sa pagpunta sa birthday party. I bought the green dress Ms. Venise had made herself. Ngayon lang ako nagkaroon ng ganito kagandang damit. It has the  softest fabric and a flowy silhouette.

Pilit kong pinagmasdan ang sarili ko sa salamin, ignoring the words screaming inside my head. I didn't have to go back in that dark place again. I could stay here.

Anabeth checked on me from the doorway, wearing a lovely light blue gingham dress. She twirled around for me to see. She's really pretty specially when she's happy, with her long braided hair and her wide smile on her freckled face.

Bumaba kami sa driveway where the apothecary's service car was waiting. Ito ang madalas gamitin ng mga staff tuwing hinahatid sila pauwi every day-off.

Habang nasa sasakyan, hindi ko parin mapigilang mangamba. It's my first time attending a gathering, even a simple one, without being someone's servant.

"Eleanor, we're on my street!" Niyugyog ni Anabeth ang braso ko. "Magkapitbahay kami nila Uncle Sebastian. Nasa dulo ng kalye ang bahay namin."

We were driving by a peaceful neighborhood. Karamihan sa mga bahay may maluwang na yard sa harapan at matataas na puno mula sa kakahuyan sa likuran ng kanilang mga bahay.

Huminto ang sasakyan nang marating namin ang ilang pila ng sasakyan sa tapat ng isang driveway, in front of a house surrounded by thick hedges.

Bumaba kami ni Anabeth sa sasakyan before walking to the low gate of the yard. Sir Sebastian's house has two floors, with hanging plants and purple flowers all over its beige brick walls.

The party was being held in the wide yard. Pastries and cakes filled the driftwood table surrounded my colorful mismatched chairs. There were also benches and blankets on the grass, under large oak trees with twisted branches. Naglalaro sa damuhan ang mga batang bisita and most adults were engrossed in their food and conversation.

We walked towards the table with our gift, a handmade mini-game of scavenger hunt, complete with illustrations of leaves and plants. Tinapos namin ito ni Anabeth kagabi.

In front of the house, Sir Sebastian was playing with little Vincent, an adorable three-years old boy with brown ringlets of hair. He was lifted high on his father's shoulders, laughing heartily, while they walked towards the yard.

"Sebastian, seriously," Ms. Venise approached them from the table of visitors, with a pointed look on her model-like face. "What are you even doing with our son?"

"He likes it, look."

Sir Sebastian was barely holding his son when he run around the yard with Vincent's little hand gripping his face. But instead of being scared, Vincent was laughing hysterically.

Ms. Venise shake her head. "Hindi talaga napagsasabihan ang uncle mo," she muttered to Anabeth as she approached us. "You look pretty in your dresses."

Napangiti si Anabeth, while I hesitantly smiled back.

"Anabee!"

Nakababa na si Vincent mula sa balikat ng Papa niya and they were walking toward us while his little hand held his father's finger. He let go and run to our direction.

"Anabee! Anabee!" He jumped up and down.

Bumungisngis si Anabeth. "Alam kong gusto mo." She leaned down to the little kid and mock whispered. "'Wag mong sasabihin kina Mommy, okay?"

Vincent nodded aggressively, ringlets bouncing off his head. Nilabas ni Anabeth ang maliit na pack ng sugared gummy candy na binili namin kahapon sa downtown. Tuwang-tuwa ang mukha ni Vincent, he's so aggressively adorable.