Chapter 20; Regret

My twt is @HadesTrades, I post updates on delays or reschedules there, follow to keep updated!

------

"Sapnap," The prison warden looked up from the desk where he stood. Reading over his book of rules and regulations after having carefully scrawled them across the pages. He spoke again. His voice was careful and practiced. Colder than it usually was. "I wasn't expecting you."

"Yeah... I uh," Sapnap rubbed at the back of his head, nervously looking around the corridor of the entrance to the prison. His nerves telling him this was a terrible idea. He shouldn't have come here. But it was for Tommy.

Sapnap knew very well that if he didn't help the boy he would end up getting himself killed.

Not something his friend was willing to risk.

"I came to visit Dream. If that's alright," Sapnap spoke again. He looked up at Sam and the man just looked to the left. To Sapnap it looked like Sam was glancing at the wall, but in Sam's mind he saw through it- to the area that led into the prison walls.

"Usually I'd say you have to schedule ahead," Sam said. He looked back at Sapnap. A hiss of smoke escaped his mask, as it did periodically. "But we're not exactly booked. Come on in."

"Thanks," Sapnap said.

"Read this book and then sign it. I'll lead you through. You must follow everything I say, failure to do so will result in your death," Sam spoke frankly and Sapnap's brows raised. He gave a nervous laugh before nodding.

"Y-yeah of course."

------

"Sapnap. Please help me. Please."

"O-okay..."

Sapnap wasn't willing to help under just any circumstances though. After they'd had that exchange they had a- rather heated- conversation about Tommy not leaving the cabin. Sapnap put his foot down and refused to help if Tommy was going to decide to just run off into the wilderness and migrate elsewhere.

Something that Tommy wanted to do because he hated the thought of having to live under the same roof as the man who betrayed Dream. Another betrayal to Tommy himself, the blond boy felt.

Tommy of course didn't like that. He wanted to pack up and just leave. But reluctantly he agreed to what Sapnap requested of him.

"Fine! I'll fucking stay..." Tommy had growled and thrown himself down onto what used to be Dream's bed. In a seated position, he looked around the stone basement.

Tommy hadn't been down there for a while now. It started to feel bad being in there after the first night Dream had been gone, and since then it was sleeping parties in the living room in front of the fireplace.

"Thank you," Sapnap huffed out frustratedly. He rubbed at his hair aggressively and looked from the ladder to Tommy. " I'm gonna go, I guess I'll try and get a look at the prison. I think I saw them working on the thing a few times... If it's what I think it is. The place is massive."

"Okay," Tommy nodded. "Thank you, Sapnap."

"Yeah, of course, Tommy." Sapnap sighed and turned away from his friend. He placed his hands on the ladder and stared up for a long second before looking over at Tommy again. "Tommy, I'm only helping you because I care about you and you're my friend. Dream is my friend too, but... he's a bad guy. He did a lot of bad things, a lot of bad things to you."

Tommy looked up from the stone floor he'd been staring down at. His blue eyes landed on Sapnap and his brows furrowed annoyed at the man's words.

"He didn't d-"