𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 12

I watch as the cops break the fight up

I watch as the cops break the fight up. Dad's shirt, covered in blood, of his own. Sebastian, my not so little brother anymore, wipes the blood off his bruised fists. 

"Hands behind your back." the officer tells dad, arresting him. Mom stares, blankly. 

"You too," he mumbles to Sebastian. 

"You're not putting that cheap material around my wrists," Sebastian mutters, walking away to the police car, hands behind his back. 

"Hey Soph," he calls me. 

"Can you get me out of there soon? I have a date," he says as if he wasn't going to the police station for getting in a fight with his dad. 

"Uh, yea." I mumble, still shocked at what just happened. 

"Mrs. Rivera?" the police officer walks up to us, directing his words to mom. 

"We're gonna need you, all the witnesses, and your lawyer at the police station. Your husband will be transported in a different car."  My mom simply nods. 

"I'm going to-" she begins talking but is cut off as yells claim the air. 

"Mrs. Rivera, what happened?" 

"Sophia, why are your brother and father being escorted by police?" 

"Is Sebastian being arrested?" 

"Was anyone injured?" 

Mom takes in a breath. 

"Mom, Shyla and I will go  to the police station, you go home." I tell her and she nods. 

"I'll call Mr.Lee." Our lawyer. 

Shyla and I walk out the seating area, paparazzi crowd us. 

Their questions, repeating as if they're a record, stuck on replay. 

Flashes from the camera blind us, even with the sun. 

We make it to the car, getting in. 

"Well, it finally happened." Shyla mumbles. 

I didn't think she felt this way about dad, neither did I think Sebastian was so, outgoing. I guess I have been away from home a bit too much. 

"How'd you find out about your savings?" I ask, intrigued by my eighteen-year-old sister. 

"I was preparing to use it for a good cause when I checked the balance, all was gone, from my joint account with Seb. I didn't think dad was the reason why, but I overheard conversations I shouldn't have listened to. I had an investigator look through his financial details before you say I spent unnecessary money, he pays us for not being a dad." she explains and I felt so bad because I couldn't be there to talk through things with her. 

"I'm sorry Shyla." I wrap my hands around her, pulling her into a hug. 

"It's alright, how'd you find out about his," she gulps, "mistress."