Chapter eighteen

Playlist: She Knows - J.Cole

###

A week or more has passed since the funeral. A week since I last saw Cody. That whole day was strange. A feeling of anxiety could never leave my body and my mind after the words he had said to me. But somehow I managed to find the strength not to show any fear and weakness to others. I was so confused that all the time I waited for him to turn me in, but I was surprised when this event went off without Cody setting me up.

For the rest of the day, he was quiet and restrained. We were standing very close to each other, and it seemed like the air was filled with electricity. We only exchanged a few words and awkward looks, which made the situation worse. Our silence, our lack of words stunned me. Because of his presence, my body couldn't find a comfortable position, so I did what I did, I was stepping from one foot to another and pressing my nails in my palms as hard as I could, trying to make the silence not that noticeable. But he never left me alone, knowing that he had company, but still, he stood by my side the whole time, even though his attitude was cold and distant towards me.

By the end of the day, he let me go, without saying a single word, not letting me know what is going to happen to me and what I should do.

I was clueless.

Without finding any catch from Cody I had gone home, wondering what I should do with my life now. To all my questions about the murder, Cody was sure to remain silent, ignoring my every word even my whole presence. I didn't know what to expect, whether to be afraid of every person walking behind me, or the person who looked me in the eyes. I've been looking for potential danger in everyone who's been on my way this last week. So now I've decided to stop waiting for any trap and go on with my life without these tormenting thoughts. It's a little easier now that I've let go of the situation and gone back to the rhythm of my life - home, casino, bar.

A few days ago, I got a text from Adamina, which was unexpected because we didn't exchange our numbers. My first thought was to ignore her message, because I didn't want to get close to anyone who knew Cody. So, I closed the notification of her message and with a calm mind went on doing some stuff at home. Without a single thought of her during the whole day, I cleaned the mess at my apartment. I hate it when the house is a mess, I can't think of anything, let alone be in a good mood. And in a few days of living in constant depression and fear of being tracked, my apartment turned into something terrible. And since I've decided to get my life back to normal, it's better to start by cleaning the apartment.

Tired, I fell on the bed, checking my phone. And it was at that moment that I recalled the message that came to me this morning, specifically the girl who sent it. For a while, I was re-reading her message, not knowing what was the right thing to do.

If Cody let me go, no strings attached, I'm going to make sure it stays that way. And communication with Adamine will, after all, intersect with her brother, and therefore with his friend - Cody.

For staying as far away from him as possible, I'm willing to pay any price, to do everything that will prevent me from seeing him again.

I guess I just don't know if I'm ready to risk my safety.

Unknown:

Hey, it's Max's sister, I hope you remember me, the redhead girl from the street outside of the club. I think it would be nice to meet you and spend some time together. You seem to be a nice person, but anyway if u are not really into this just ignore this message.

I can imagine her nervously typing and overthinking every word she used, with her trembling fingers tucking her ginger hair behind her ear.

She sent another message five minutes after the first one.