High Inquisitor

If Hari and Hermione had been expecting anything in the daily profit, it wasn't the article that they found.

A large photo of Umbridge smiling at the camera. Above her was the headline:

MINISTRY SEEKS EDUCATIONAL REFORM, DOLORES UMBRIDGE APPOINTED FIRST EVER HIGH INQUISITOR

#) Umbridge high inquisitor!? (# Hari said, #) That better not mean what I think it does. (#

The two continued to read the article, In a surprise move last night the Ministry of Magic passed new legislation giving itself an unprecedented level of control at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

"The Minister has been growing uneasy about goings-on at Hogwarts for some time," said Junior Assistant to the Minister, Percy Weasley. "He is now responding to concerns, voiced by anxious parents, who feel the school may be moving in a direction they do not approve of.

This is not the first time in recent weeks that the Minister, Cornelius Fudge, has used new laws to effect improvements at the wizarding school. As recently as 30th August, Educational Decree Number Twenty-two was passed, to ensure that, in the event of the current Headmaster being unable to provide a candidate for a teaching post, the Ministry should select an appropriate person.

"That's how Dolores Umbridge came to be appointed to the teaching staff at Hogwarts," said Weasley last night. "Dumbledore couldn't find anyone so the Minister put in Umbridge, and of course, she's been an immediate success - "

Hari paused, #) How the hell has she been an immediate success!? (#

The two continued to read
"- an immediate success, totally revolutionising the teaching of Defence Against the Dark Arts and providing the Minister with on-the-ground feedback about what's really happening at Hogwarts."

It is this last function that the Ministry has now formalised with the passing of Educational Decree Number Twenty-three, which creates the new position of Hogwarts High Inquisitor

"This is an exciting new phase in the Minister's plan to get to grips with what some are calling the falling standards at Hogwarts," said Weasley. "The Inquisitor will have powers to inspect her fellow educators and make sure that they are coming up to scratch. Professor Umbridge has been offered this position in addition to her own teaching post and we are delighted to say that she has accepted."

The Ministry's new moves have received enthusiastic support from parents of students at Hogwarts.

"I feel much easier in my mind now that I know Dumbledore is being subjected to fair and objective evaluation," said Mr Lucius Malfoy, 41, speaking from his Wiltshire mansion last night. "Many of us with our children's best interests at heart have been concerned about some of Dumbledore's eccentric decisions in the last few years and are glad to know that the Ministry is keeping an eye on the situation."

Among those eccentric decisions are undoubtedly the controversial staff appointments previously described in this newspaper, which have included the employment of werewolf Remus Lupin, half-giant Rubeus Hagrid and delusional ex-Auror, "Mad-Eye" Moody.

Rumours abound, of course, that Albus Dumbledore, once Supreme Mugwump of the International Confederation of Wizards and Chief Warlock of the Wizengamot, is no longer up to the task of managing the prestigious school of Hogwarts.

"I think the appointment of the Inquisitor is a first step towards ensuring that Hogwarts has a headmaster in whom we can all repose our confidence," said a Ministry insider last night.

Wizengamot elders Griselda Marchbanks and Tiberius Ogden have resigned in protest at the introduction of the post of Inquisitor to Hogwarts.

"Hogwarts is a school, not an outpost of Cornelius Fudge's office," said Madam Marchbanks. "This is a further, disgusting attempt to discredit Albus Dumbledore."
'(For a full account of Madam Marchbanks's alleged links to subversive goblin groups, turn to page seventeen.)'

#) Wow. (# Hari said sarcastically, #) I love that.(#

"Well at least we know how we ended up with Umbridge." Hermione said, " Fudge passed this "Educational Decree" and forced her on us! And now he's given her the power to inspect the other teachers!"

"That's stupid!" Ron said,

#)We know! (# Hari said, flexing her hand uncomfortably in the red fingerless knitted gloves she was wearing.

Ron received a letter and opened it, "it's from Percy." he said, before reading it. His expression darkened further at every line, until he pulled out his wand and lit it on fire.

#) What? (# Hari asked,

"He's basically told me to stay away from you because you're a bad influence."

•   •   • 

They arrived in potions class to see that it was being inspected by Umbridge.

#) You'd think she has enough classes on her hands just teaching their own. (# Hari muttered,

She went to sit in her assigned seat next to Draco, immediately pretending to start bickering. He wasn't looking the best, slumped forwards in his chair and sweating in the freezing classroom. 

'Are you alright?' Hari signed discreetly while grabbing an ingrediant.

Draco nodded. His eyes kept flickering around the classroom and flashing weirdly in the light. She felt like she should know something, but the thoughts were evading her, like a piece of her puzzle was missing.

Umbridge started asking Severus stupid questions, but Hari ignored them.

She worked on her Strengthening Solution, crushing her Griffin claw in her mortar.

The class went by slowly with Umbridge breathing down her neck as she poured her crushed ingredients into the cauldron, turning the potion turquoise.

When she delivered a flask of it to Severus' desk at the end of the lesson, it was with a feeling of relief.

•  •  •

It wasn't long before Hermione sat Hari down in the corner of the common room, "I need your help with something, defence against the dark arts stuff. Meet me at the Hog's Head at four pm on the trip this Saturday."

Hari nodded, too tired to try to figure out what Hermione was up to.

Yes, the article is copied from the book... I don't feel like writing one.

Also arg! so short I'm sorry, I'm almost done with the next chapter, I swear.