The Weekend

The next morning Cathleen and her friends all head to breakfast a little later, around eight o'clock. An owl drops a letter onto her plate half-way through her breakfast, it's a letter back from her dads.

Dear Cathleen,

We're so happy you're enjoying your time at the castle so far and that you've made some friends. Your papa and I are so proud that you made Ravenclaw. I certainly suspected as much. Ravenclaw is a fine house.

We'd love to hear about how your classes going and how life in the castle is treating you. I know it's only been a day so not much has happened but the sentiment is still there.

Also, I want to hear more about your "run in" with the girl on the train. Were any spells cast? I really don't want you to get in trouble for dueling but obviously you have to defend yourself. Has anything happened since you got to school? Your papa says he thinks he had a Jugson case a long time ago when he first started back at the academy. If the girl is targeting you because of that or any other reason, you let us know, or tell Professor McGonagall if it's urgent, you can always trust her.

We love you so much and we miss you already. We're counting the days until Christmas break gets here. I know the kids miss you as well, they've been finding adequate ways to distract themselves though. The twins just got here earlier, to spend the weekend with Marcus, so Sirius set them up a campsite in the backyard. Harry went to the Burrow to stay with Ron yesterday and he'll stay the whole weekend, I'm sure. And Ariella is going shopping with Andromeda tomorrow. We're empty nesters already, I don't how we'll make it.

Write back as soon as possible love,

Papa and Dad

Cathleen can't help but smile at the letter. She stuffs it in her bag and finishes her food quickly. Then they head off to the grounds to meet the rest of their friends.

They spend the morning trying out spells on the hidden door. They were planning to go outside after lunch but it began to rain so instead they spent the evening in the library doing homework and after dinner they retire to their common rooms.

The next day Cathleen wakes up super early, so she gets ready and then heads off to the owlery to send a letter back to her dads. She tells them about her classes and teachers, including the fact that Potions and History of Magic were both bound to be torturous. She also tells them about what Ivy said, leaving out the details of her homophobic rhetoric, but explaining that she has it handled.

As she's walking back to the castle she catches the eye of Bill, who's also walking towards the castle, only from the direction of the Quidditch Pitch. He waves her over.

"Hey there stranger," he says smiling as she runs up.

"Bill, I didn't expect to run into you, fancy an early morning flight?"

"Oh," he turns around and looks down towards the pitch. "Yeah, I thought it'd help me destress, head boy isn't an easy job."

She hums, "How come you never joined the Quidditch team?"

Bill shrugs, "I've always just been more focused on learning here at Hogwarts. Taking twelve classes has kept me pretty busy, too busy for Quidditch anyways. Are you going to try out next year?"

"I might," Cathleen falls into pace beside him and they start up the path towards the castle together, "But I might wait until third or fourth year."