69- Gentle and Beautiful Truth

[[ I swear it hasn't almost been a month. This is heartbreaking even for me. Life has been hectic but I am going to try to create an updating schedule so this foolery will not happen again as it has been consistently. I am truly trying my best out here y'all. I hope you enjoy- L RANDY]]

{{ TRIGGER WARNING- MENTION OF SU*C*DE/ SELF HARM - BLOOD - }}

••━━━━━ •••• ━━━━━ ••

The stairs leading down the brig felt like they went on forever, taunting Alana with every creaking board. The only light came from the lantern Kazumi held as he led the way. Neither said a word, the tension smothering them both.

Alana's mind was jumbled and all over the place, worried, happy, scared.

She did not know what she would find waiting for her, or who. Ivo or Ghost, and how either would react to her presence. She did not much care what happened to her, as long as she could comfort Ivo. She feared he was in a torturous state of grief and guilt, after all, he had locked himself in a cell.

Alana felt it was cruel for Kazumi, Leven, and Leopoldo to let Ivo think she was dead, especially as some sort of punishment. She wanted to assure Ivo, but the nagging pain around her throat made her pace slow a bit more with every step.

The stale scent of the usually abandoned cellars crept through her nostrils as enough warning to turn and flee, but her instincts being betrayed by her body that pressed on.

As the cells came into view with the faint light of the flame Alana paused a few steps from the bottom, her breath caught in her aching throat.

With her halted movements Kazumi stopped as well, turning halfway to look back at the fearful woman.

"What is it?" Kazumi mused. "Ivo is in human form, and he would never hurt you, right?"

Alana's brows twitched, this being the first time Kazumi had ever sounded sarcastic. She stuck her chin up with a minimal amount of courage and swallowed hard.

"Right." She nodded assuredly and continued down the last few stairs.

Her eyes first traveled the cells, trying to spot Ivo in any of the shadowy cages, her heart racing with every bar her eye line met. At first, she couldn't tell which cell held the second in command until she spotted a lump in the corner of one cell. In the very back, the last cell on the left slouched an unmoving figure.

Alana tried to ignore the shaking that overtook her body, feeling ashamed of it, because to be afraid of Ivo and not only his demon would make her a liar. She spouted off about how Ivo was not the one to blame, if she believed her own words she should not be shivering from fright right now. She knew that and still, her body betrayed her.

As her senses settled in past her initial fear she heard the muttering, whispers coming from that cell.

She couldn't place what exactly was being muttered, and worriedly she looked up to the raven-haired captain. Kazumi kept his eyes trained on the cell, the flame in the lantern illuminating his hardened stare.

"Do you see?" Kazumi suddenly said.

"Huh?" Alana croaked back confused.

Kazumi began to walk towards the last cell.

"Do you see what happens when you test me?"

Alana hesitated but followed after him.

"I am conf—" Alana began hurriedly.