18. Back To School

Summer ended quicker than expected

Summer ended quicker than expected. Lizzie didn't tell anyone else about her and Jake, but the addition of Jasper knowing did make it easier for the couple to tiptoe around her family. Her brother did, however, do everything in his power to help cover along with Carlisle and Esme.

Lizzie went to school with Bella that morning while Sam went with Dean, who was finally allowed back in school. It was a rough road but he was getting there, and Carlisle agreed the self-isolation wasn't helping in the long run. He needed to get used to being around people again. They arrived together and as Lizzie exited Bella's truck, Edward pulled into the parking lot in his silver Volvo.

"Do you always have to do that cool slo-mo walk thing?" she commented to her brother, who only chuckled as he stopped in front of his girlfriend.

"Happy Birthday."

"Don't remind me," Bella shook her head.

Lizzie zoned out on the conversation from there, knowing they were being all cute and lovey, and she missed Jake. They spent almost every second or third day of the summer break together and now being without him felt wrong and lonely.

"You okay, Liz?" Dean asked as he stuck close to her for the day, via Jasper's orders.

"Fine," she nodded. "Where's Sammy?"

"He went to see Jessica."

"Of course, he did," Lizzie smiled, happy her youngest brother got his first girlfriend. He was so excited about it that he practically toppled Lizzie over with the news the second it happened.

Suddenly, Dean smelt something and cringed, his nose scrunching up in disgust. Lizzie looked up just as Edward muttered something under his breath and Jacob Black himself walked across the parking lot. She wanted to smile and so did he, but luckily, both remembered not to.

"Bella."

"Jacob."

She left Edward's side and met Jake halfway as he picked her up in a hug. Lizzie watched the interaction with genuine happiness, she was glad her boyfriend and cousin were friends. But she could also sense Edward was not. She walked up to her brother with a frown but he only shook his head in annoyance.

"They're just friends, Eddie."

"I know," he ground out as he refused to look at them.

"Hello, biceps!" Bella joked. "You know, anabolic steroids are really bad for you." Jacob laughed at her with a shake of his head.

"I'm just filling out, Bells. If we hung out at all this summer the change wouldn't have been so drastic."

"Yeah, you're right. I'm sorry."

"It's cool and anyways I heard it was your birthday. Your dad told my dad, so... " he explained when Bella's face fell from a smile to a frown.

"Yeah, of course, he did."