Chap. 37

"Why am I here?" I complained to Bryce, as we swung into the school parking lot.

"Because you love me."

"That's irrelevant." I parked the car, turning to face him. "I don't want to watch Steven pitch and the team play. I don't care about the baseball team if you're not on it."

He leaned across the center console, kissing me for a brief moment. "I don't want to see Anderson pitch either. But it's a big game for the team, so I needed to come."

I stepped out of the car with a sigh, shooting a glare in Bryce's direction.

"You love me," he reminded me.

I just rolled my eyes as he took my hand in his, leading me up to the baseball fields.

The Team Mom let us inside without paying the ticket fee, and I immediately headed for the concession stands.

"Are you going to cheat on me?" Bryce complained.

"I can't come to a baseball game without my M&M's," I said, jutting out my bottom lip.

He let out a long, dramatic sigh. "Since I dragged you here, I guess I can't complain."

"That's right mister," I said, poking him in the abdomen. "That's the last thing you should be doing. I gave up my Monday night to come down the baseball fields with you."

"Because you love me," he reminded me.

"Yes Bryce, so you continue to remind me."

He just offered me a cheeky smile.

I stepped up to the counter, asking for my M&M's and bottle of water.

I turned around and my eyes widened when I saw Mr. John standing by the bleachers.

He was a regular at Bryce's travel team games and tournaments, and everyone around the baseball fields knew him.

But I'd never seen him at one of Bryce's high school games.

"Hey, it's Mr. John!" Bryce exclaimed, pulling me with him as he went over to greet him.

Mr. John was completely bald, undergoing Chemotherapy for Pancreatic Cancer, the worst of the worst.

He'd been on and off Chemo for the past 2 years that I'd known him, but he never lost his spunk. He was someone that people loved to be around, always brightening up your day with a smile and a friendly conversation.

"Bryce!" Mr. John called, as we approached him. "And Sophie, beautiful as always."

Bryce gave him a quick hug. "I haven't seen you out here," Bryce said.

"This is the first game I've made it to this season," Mr. John said, with a half-smile. "But I'm excited. I hear it's supposed to be a real good one."

Bryce began filling him in on baseball statistics, and I found myself scanning the bleachers, looking for a familiar face.

I saw Landon with a few of his friends, but I truly can't stand him. So I continued to search for a friendly face, someone I could sit with during the game.

"But I hear you're not coming back this season," Mr. John stated.

"Not this high school season," Bryce said, with a shake of his head.

"That's a real shame." Mr. John shoved his hands in his pockets. "I know I'm obligated to say that Steven's the best pitcher there is, but I think you give him a run for his money. And I think he could use that, you know? Someone pushing him to do better, keep him on his toes."