cvii

"Hey," George said quietly as he came inside the room Fred and Maddie were in. "I figured the two of you could be hungry so I got you some food."

"Thanks mate," Fred smiled tiredly and accepted the large paper bag George was holding, "she can't eat anything until the babies are born but she'll appreciate it once they're out."

"How is she doing?" George asked and pulled up a chair to sit next to Fred, who was holding a sleeping Madeleine's hand.

"Putting on a brave face, I know her too well and I know she's in so much pain but every time they ask she says she isn't in any," Fred sighed.

"Classic Mads," George chuckled lightly.

"Yeah, luckily I was able to get her to sleep a bit but the healers say it'll take a while before the babies are born

"Figured," George nodded, "she looks exhausted."

"Yeah, we've been here for like eight hours already and I know she just wants to go home," Fred looked at her and then back at his twin.

"Don't you think it's crazy that when you do go home, you'll be crossing that door with two babies?"

"Yeah, it feel surreal but no matter how scared I am, I'm so excited to meet them," Fred smiled. "What about your baby mate, how's Liz feeling?"

"She's feeling fine, she's always been a tough girl," George said proudly.

"That she is, I can't believe that in four months you'll be in the same position that I am," Fred patted George's back.

"Yeah, tell me about it," he grinned. "Life went by pretty quickly, don't you think? One day we were pranking half the school and now you're hours away of having your babies."

"It's crazy mate, I'm glad that the babies will have each other like you and me," Fred nudged George gently. "Can you stay with her while I use to loo?"

"Yeah, it's fine," George nodded and switched places with Fred so that he could be next to the blonde.

Not even two minutes had passed since Fred left the room when Maddie woke up from what felt like the shortest nap in the world, when the strongest contraction yet took over her. Not even noticing that it was George's hand who she was squeezing impossibly tight rather than Fred's. George, not really sure of what to say to make her feel better, only let her grip his hand even though he was certain his bones were to break in any given second.

"For someone so tiny you sure do have a strong grip," he chuckled and rubbed her shoulder once it was over.

"Not that I don't appreciate having you here Georgie," she opened her eyes and smiled exhaustedly, "but do you happen to know where exactly is my husband?"

"Taking a shit most likely," George said playfully. "How are you feeling?"

"Do you want the honest version or the sugar coated one?" she raised her brows.

"The honest one, obviously," he rolled his eyes.

"I feel like my insides are being pulled out of my body, which has been set on fire by a dragon and ran over by the Knight Bus," she said nonchalantly. "And instead of just letting me die in peace, I'm being tortured over and over again every time I have a contraction."

"Damn," George snorted. "That's a graphic description."

"You wanted the honest version," she shrugged.

"What did I miss?" Fred asked as he rushed to her side.

"Just another taste of my slow death," she grinned and patted the space next to her so that Fred could sit on the bed.