17: Drawings

Gavin

"Are you okay?" Madeline asked, followed by coach Grayson and Lester. Casper joined and it was a whole scene.

"I'm fine just lost focus for a good second," I got up with the help of Casper and Lester. I dragged myself to the bench to sit next to Noah until my face recovered some of its senses. It felt like it was on fire.

"If you start to feel worse, go to the nurse without checking with me," coach told me before heading back to the field.

Noah sighed. "Gotta love the benches, huh,"

"Are you okay?" the words didn't come out of Noah. To my left appeared Zane, looking concerned and guilty at the same time.

A blush took over my ears as I realised that he knew.

He knew I wanted him to see me.

He knew I was focused on him instead of the game. His face said it all.

"It's my fault, isn't it?"

I shook my head. "I wouldn't call it your fault, it's me who lost my train of thought and didn't see the ball coming,"

"I saw you," Zane interrupted. "You were looking at where I was sitting. I'm sorry. I went to fetch a bottle of water, then you were hit and everyone was around you so I didn't want to, you know,"

My face reddened further. I wasn't a shy person but with Zane I was a blushing mess.

"Don't be embarrassed," he added. My eyes were looking everywhere but on him. "I kinda was looking at you too," he extended his arm, offering the sketchbook he had earlier.

I examined the paper smeared with all sorts of graphite. It was a rough sketch of someone wearing our gym outfit, but it had #4, which meant it was me. The face wasn't clear enough, but I could tell it resembled me. "Oh my," was the only thing I could muster.

It had a little bit of the gym scenery here and there, until it reached the centre where I stood.

His eyes were trailed on me, seeking answers to questions that were never asked. He didn't need to say anything for me to know what's going on in his head.

"I love it," I said admirably. "I love it so much,"

A rare smile appeared on his face. He really didn't smile that much, which was a waste because it was breathtaking. "I'm glad you do. It's yours,"

"What?" I gasped, "No, of course not,"

"But I made it for you," he interjected. I couldn't take it. I'd literally look at anything but it for days, and that couldn't be good to my mental state.

"I love it but I can't take it,"

"Who's being a stubborn hot head now?" He was starting to get agitated and I didn't want that.

"It's a drawing of me. I rather have a drawing of you," the words slipped before I could catch them.

His eyes went wide with amusement at my flustered behaviour. I hated what he did to me. I wasn't the flustered mess he made me appear to be. "I mean not that I want a drawing of you because that wouldn't be, uhh, I don't know, you know? And it would be kinda weird because you know we're just friends and we should-"

Suddenly I froze into a moment in time where my body and soul were two different entities attached by my lips against his.

He pulled away momentarily, looking around to see if he had garnered any unwanted attention. We did cause a few eyes to turn our way, but hell if I cared. I missed his kisses badly.