Chapter 68: Bruce's goading

Naturally, the type of control Bruce wanted over them was not to literally control them, but to make S.H.I.E.L.D. as well as the Avengers dread him, so that they won't bother him in the future.

In fact, his open reveal on the Peter Parker front to Fury had its own purpose, and that was to put the director off alert. And by the way things were going, it seemed that his strategy had been quite effective.

Now, Fury had already started putting his guard down around him, albeit he was still on alert, and it would be quite a while before he achieved his goal.

But this was just the beginning, as what he wanted required Fury to trust him unconditionally. And now was definitely not the time, after all, his target of manipulation was called the 'Spy King', he definitely wouldn't be so simple.

"Phil Coulson's death is the most important part of our plan?" Fury looked at Bruce. Although he only had one eye, at this moment, it revealed a brilliant light, it was apparent that Bruce's words made him think deeper into it.

"S.H.I.E.L.D. can't really control the Avengers, and I believe you can already be sure of this point from the recent events. But while controlling them is off the table, we can use this opportunity to make them formally unite."

Bruce's face was still calm. As the person who saw through the whole situation, he surely knew what he was doing now. Fury too was not surprised, as he got Bruce's point and nodded slowly in response.

"We can use the death of Coulson to make these people unite against their mutual adversary right? You are really smart." Fury said, getting the most important part of Bruce's plan.

It was quite a brilliant idea actually, to make these people, with deep grudges against each other, unite by virtue of Coulson's death.

He had previously made sure that Loki's previous actions had completely angered the superheroes, who all had the ability to work independently no matter where they were put. All they lacked now was a proper motivation.

Although Thor and Banner had left now, It was only a matter of time before they made their return.

"I believe Mr. Fury already knows what to do, and I will support you." Bruce's face was still calm, as if what had happened before had nothing to do with him.

"But how can I trust you?" Fury agreed with Bruce's plan, and he planned to execute it.

But Bruce's recent performances had shocked everyone. Before this battle, Bruce's fight with Loki and Thor had made Fury think that Bruce was a superhero, but after this battle, his purpose didn't appear to be so simple.

Even now, he still had his doubts about Bruce.

"We don't have any conflicts, and instead of creating one, I will help you. As for how much you trust me, that depends on you Mr. Fury." After saying that, he turned and left.

When dealing with such a man, he didn't need to explain too much. On the contrary, the more he explained, the more flaws were revealed in his explanations. Fury was a very smart person, he would know what the best course of action was, all Bruce needed to do was be patient and wait for his opportunity.

Watching Bruce's back as he left, Fury didn't say anything. Instead, he just slowly crouched down and took out some bloody cards from Coulson's pocket. The was one on Captain America, Thor, Iron Man and so on.

The reason Coulson had these cards, was because he really admired, even worshiped these superheroes. Regardless of the fact that he was an agent, he was above all still a human.

"Coulson, I won't let you die in such a way," Fury said.

After that, he called some agents to deal with the situation here and he went to the Helicarrier's main room himself.

Currently, there were not many agents left in there, the only ones remaining were the elites of the elites.

Hll had a sad look on her face, it seemed that her mood had yet to recover. Captain America and Iron Man were sitting in the middle, showing neither excitement or loss, only desolation because of their failure.

This was the first time they had felt defeated because of a failure, the biggest reason for that was because their own people had died, people they knew and were close to.

From beginning to end, Loki did nothing but make them fall apart internally, quite unexpected for someone who was the self-proclaimed most powerful superhero on Earth.

This made them feel very angry and regretful. The destruction on the scene of the main room made their expressions turn even more desolate.

"These cards were found in Phil Coulson 's coat." At this moment, Fury came over and threw out a couple of cards from his hand.

Captain America and Iron Man looked at the bloody cards, and slightly closed their eyes. Whether it be Captain America or Iron Man, they all had a good impression of Coulson.But now he had died in front of them in such a way.

Fury saw that they were silent and remembered what Bruce had said, he slowly opened his mouth.

"At first, my intention was to build an extremely powerful alliance, which would have helped us protect the Earth. But maybe I had been wrong from the beginning."

Iron Man and Captain America looked at him, not saying anything and just listening.

"I wanted to use the Tesseract to make a powerful weapon, but I didn't put all my bets on it. I had a better idea, Stark should know what that idea was. You are all the most outstanding men in the world on your own, but making you guys unite would make you play a way more powerful role."

Fury slowly said, and he was indeed a very smart person. In fact, the Captain and Iron Man both already knew about this, but now that he had said it himself, It was a lot more impactful.

"These concepts are all stereotypical, things should be like this only in the movies." Iron Man said as he stood up. Although he replied in such an unfriendly way, It wasn't something to hold against him, as the death of Coulson had really angered him.

This was an important point for keeping them all together.

"Mr. Stark, you should know how powerful our enemies are, a lot of people need you." At this moment, Bruce appeared, as calm as always.

But at this moment, he was wearing combat clothing which made him look extremely brisk. Everyone looked at Bruce with eyes that revealed how strange they felt.

He was the only person that no one could see through, and although S.H.I.E.L.D. had previously said that he was one of their own, it was quite apparent that S.H.I.E.L.D. couldn't control him at all.

"I know Mr. Coulson very well, he trusted you completely, and will continue to do so, even in death." Bruce sat down, but no one replied.

The whole room went silent once again, Coulson's death had indeed had a great impact on everyone present.

"Loki has seen and now knows every one of you, which gives him the opportunity to break through us one by one and make us fall into internal conflict once again. This time around, you have all failed!"

Bruce spoke again, his expression remaining calm. But the words he said made everyone frown, including Captain America.

Bruce said that they failed, which made them very unhappy, but this was an indisputable fact, so they couldn't say anything.

"You are all powerful, well-known superheroes. But now, after facing such a failure, don't tell me you don't want revenge?"

At this moment, Bruce stood up and looked at everyone present, his tone very solemn.