Flustered at the Beach

We pull into a parking lot by the beach. The sun glares down on us. I have my sunglasses propped on my nose.

We had stopped at the store to grab George some swim trunks. He picked out lime green ones with white lines across the ends and the waistband. I told him he had to get them because then it would be easier to find him if he got lost. George had rolled his eyes, but he still bought them.

I step into the heat and pull the cooler from the back seat. George scurries to the public restrooms to change and Sapnap and I wait for him by the car.

My loose colorful shirt whips in the light breeze, the waves crash in the sand behind me. Kids run around laughing and screaming as the sun beats down on my tanned skin.

Perfect day for the beach.

"Hey Sapnap?" I look over at him.

He squints up at me, sun glaring in his eyes. "What's up?"

"What we're you and George talking about while I was getting ready?"

Sapnap grimaces and turns away. "I don't know if I should say. George might kill me."

I chuckle, but he looks serious. "I'll protect you. Just tell me."

"I shouldn't."

"Come on. Please?" I put my hands together in a pleading motion.

Sapnap pushes his lips together, as if to seal them, and shakes his head no.

I scoff and roll my eyes. "Nick, come on."

"I'll die," he mumbles.

I give up.

George walks towards us with a shy smile. He has his arms across his chest protectively. His shorts look just a little too big.

Sapnap whistles. "You look cute George."

He rolls his eyes. "You're an idiot."

"What? It's true! Ask Dream. He thinks you're hot." Sapnap turns to look at me and winks.

"I- what? Sapnap!" My cheeks feel warm. Sapnap is an idiot. I pull my hands up to my cheeks. "You know what? I think I'll use the bathroom before we go," I splutter out as my chest tightens in embarrassment.

My legs and arms tingle as I frantically make my way across the parking lot. The bathrooms were farther than I thought. I don't think I'll make it. I quickly look behind me to see Sapnap and George still watching. I breathe in and out trying to stay myself, but it doesn't work. I make a quick turn to hide behind a mini van. My back hits the car as I shrink down into the asphalt.

So annoying.

Since George and Sapnap got here, I've changed to a blob 4 times a day. This is going to be so hard to hide if I keep up that rate.

I lay in the parking lot for 3 minutes trying to change back, but people keep walking past making it hard for me to focus.

After another 2 attempts and another 2 minutes I finally pull into my regular self. I hit my head on the side mirror as I stretch back to size.

I audibly "ow" and rub my head. I fix my sunglasses and stride back over to my friends. They are laughing about something as I approach.

I notice Sapnap found a pair of sunglasses in my car and has placed them on his face.

"Ready to go?" I grab the cooler.

They both nod and we make our way down the sand.

I plop the cooler down in a spot that looks reasonable to me. The beach is kind of full today, which is fitting considering the great beach weather. The three of us lay out our towels in the sand next to each other and I fish a beach umbrella from my backpack. It's not huge, but big enough to cover the cooler, and someone's head maybe.

Sapnap pulls his sandals off his feet and tugs his shirt over his head.

"Come on guys! The beach," he gesticulates at the water, "ocean waves, sand. Let's go!" He runs towards the waves and gives a loud whoop.

George and I laugh at his childish actions. I unbutton my beach shirt and toss it on my towel.

I wave George towards me as I step towards the water, "Lets go George!" I smile brightly at him. He looks at my nervously.

"What?"

He fiddles with his fingers and looks up at me. "I- I can't swim very well. I'm a little scared of the water."

My eyebrows raise up. "Oh... I didn't know that. Umm..."

I hear Sapnap yelling behind me. "Come on lovebirds. It's time to get wet!" He laughs hysterically at his joke, but I ignore him.

"Hey," George's eyes return to mine. I hold my hand out to him. "It'll be fine. I won't let you drown." I give him a reassuring smile.

He weakly smiles back. "Promise?"

I nod my head with a light chuckle. "Yes. Promise."

He grabs my hand hesitantly and I drag him to the water. He stops and pulls his hand from mine. I stand in the ankle deep water and turn around just in time to watch him pull his t-shirt over his head. His skin is pale and he has light freckles sprinkling his shoulders.

He smiles brightly. "Now I'm ready."

I watch in awe as he runs into the waves, until he is up to his hips. The breeze brushes his dark hair across his forehead and ears and he turns to look at me with bright eyes.

I smile and follow him into the water.

Sapnap joins us with a big splash to our faces. We laugh and start a splashing war. Quickly my hair darkens and sticks to my forehead in weird angles. George's hair lays flat against his skull and Sapnap's hair sticks up all over his head.

We were just a bunch of guys having fun at the beach. Normal guys having fun. Normally.

It felt good to feel normal, even if it was just in this moment.

Hey hey hey! I really appreciate you reading my story. As per usual, let me know what you think about it. :D

1026 words