Chapter 2.1

Dinner that evening was served as usual at the resort, buffet-style in the dining-room. Selena was helping herself from the array of food—local lobster, barbecued chicken, rice and peas, spicy beans, crisp salad, hot home-made rolls and soft butter when Heather came bustling through a swing door from the kitchen. The woman gave a quick glance at Ben, who was in conversation with some other guests who were staying at the resort, a party of sport fishermen who had flown in from St. Thomas by charter plane to try the fishing on Sanada Bank, then stood close to Selena and whispered, "I asked him and I was right. He is related to William Walker. He's the younger son and us now in the business, the freighting business I mean, with his elder brother. Right now he's on vacation cruising about on his yacht. That's how he ran into John Claes and offered to bring the ship here until John is well enough to come." Heather gave a little chuckle as she rearranged the dishes on the long buffet table. "He is rather attractive. Do you think five years in our ages would be too much for me to have a satisfactory relationship with him?"

   Selena turned to her, her mouth opening in amazement.

   "You mean..." she began.

   "Oh, I'm always on the look-out for an attractive man to have an affair with," said Heather with a chuckle. "But I have to admit this is the first time I've ever considered a man younger than myself. And he does have an added attraction. He's wealthy. Louis wasn't." Her face sobered, lines hardening discontentedly. "And this place is losing money. I've got to find someone who'll buy some shares in it or I'll go bankrupt. That's why..." She smiled again. "But I'm rattling on too much and you're wanting to have your dinner. Do take as much as you want. Veronica, the cook, always makes too much." She glanced again at the party of men. "Keith said he and the crew will come over later to join us for drinks. They preferred to eat on board tonight although I told them they could eat here for free."

   "You're too generous," murmured Selena. "That's why you'll go bankrupt."

   "You can say that again," said Heather with another laugh and whisked, with a flurry of her long, loose, multi-coloured gown, back into the kitchen.

   Somehow, Selena thought she was eating, only half listening to the consternation that was going on between Ben and the Americans, somehow she had to intercept Keith on his way out for drinks. She had to see him alone to prevent him from telling Heather that he had met her in Nassau a few years ago. Once Heather knew, Ben would know and once Ben knew the questions would come; questions she would prefer not to answer about an affair Ben would never understand.

   It would be best if she made some excuse, left the dining-room and went down to the dive-ship to see Keith before he left it to come up here. The problem was thinking up an excuse. She supposed the usual one would have to do, so when Ben offered to get her some coffee and some dress coconut pie for dessert she declined and said, "I'm afraid I have a headache. I think I'll go to my room, take a couple if aspirins and lie down. I want to be really fit if we're going diving tomorrow." She pushed back her chair and stood up. He stood up too, looking anxious.

   "I'll walk you to your room," he said.

   "No. No. Please stay here, have your coffee and our. Heather says the crew of the dive-ship are coming to have drinks so you stay and be here when they come."

   "You're quite sure?"

   "Quite sure. I'm sorry to be such a wet blanket but it's best if I go to lie down so that I'll be in good trim tomorrow. Good night."

   "Good night, then, dear," he said, kissing her cheek, and she made her escape quickly just as Heather came bustling out of the kitchen again.