06 landscape with a blur of conquerors

06   landscape with a blur of conquerors 

This morning, after Mercy had peeled herself from the confines of the bathroom, Noah had pulled her in the direction of Ronan's room. The space was drenched in the stench of a nightmare, tinged with blood and fear. Mercy had to put a hand over her mouth as she entered to stop herself from gagging. There was no mistaking the abnormal figure slumped in the room, cornered by Ronan and Gansey, was body. But it wasn't human-like: clawed and feathered, the monster was something out of Mercy's nightmares. It took five minutes for Gansey to calmly explain what had happened and another fifteen for the three of them to squeeze the corpse of skin and bone into the boot of the BMW. Then, in silence, they drove away with Ronan behind the wheel.

Now, standing in front of 300 Fox Way, the house is everything that Mercy's Siken Lane could never be. The little, bright blue house exudes the strange energy of Blue Sargent's family and their abilities. Mercy is no stranger to their story: an unknown number of residents and lost souls can be found within the walls, and willing customers can step through the front door to have their cards read or future told. No King has ever set foot through those doors, and Mercy won't be the first just yet. Where Fox Way is a warm mismatched mosaic of colour and patterns, Siken Lane is dark, shrouded in shadows and a coldness that no blanket or heater could ever melt. 

Mercy still hasn't been home, making do with the spare clothes in a duffle bag in the passenger seat of her truck. A leftover possession from her stint on the Aglionby Swim Team. Neither has Circe contacted her. Not that she particularly cares. Mercy leans against the BMW's back door. The redhead is buzzing, thrumming with unchecked energy. Her foot taps against the ground, headphones around her neck. She's covered herself with a black turtleneck tucked into a beige pleated tennis skirt to hide her string of bruises from prying eyes, and she's melting in the summer heat. Ronan had eyed her that morning and Mercy's skin crawled. What does he know? Or what does he want to know?