Chapter Thirty Nine

"Raia?" Raiden says, but the girl either doesn't hear him or deliberately ignores him

Raia walks over to Tallulah, who is slumped against the wall and screaming in agony. Purple steam rises from the demon's body. When Raia reaches her, she comes to a halt and draws the flame sword from her chest.

Tallulah screeches, her teeth sharpening into fangs and her crimson eyes gleaming.

"She's . . . fine." Nathan stares wide-eyed at Raia. Sunshine appears beside him, clutching her injured right arm.

But she clearly wasn't earlier, Raiden thinks, frowning. I even thought she had passed out. Is it her healing power?

"You should be dead already," Tallulah whispers as she looks up at Raia. Blood stains her dress and floods the ground beneath her small body. "I guess I should have listened to Loki. But I never expected to die in your hands. I just wanted to . . . save you." She smiles ruefully, and Raia's hands freeze.

"Save us? In what way?" Raia snaps, her voice sharp and cold. "By corrupting our souls? I know what you're up to, Blood Demon. That's why you gave us those nightmares."

"You don't understand, kid. It's the only way to keep humans safe from the . . . Death."

"No, you don't understand it," Raia snarls, her face darkening. "I don't want to disappear, demon. Despite how much I despise this world, I want to keep coming back."

Raia seals the power of her Blessing, and a long metal blade appears within the purple flame blade of her sword, returning it to its standard form.

Tallulah's eyes flicker to the sharp weapon, which now resembles a regular longsword with a purple flame encircling the blade. "But we'll give you immortality -"

Raia lifts the sword and thrusts it into Tallulah's chest, cutting her off. Tallulah catches her breath in a startled gasp of pain and looks down at the purple flames scorching her flesh once more. Raia pulls out the sword, eliciting another gasp from her.

"How do you feel about immortality right now?" Raia dares, her glacial grey eyes piercing the Blood Demon's crimson ones.

"Wait, Raia," Raiden interrupts before Raia can stab the demon again.

Raia gives him a puzzled look, then raises her brow impatiently. She lowers her sword and turns to face him.

"What? Is there something you want from this demon?" she asks, a firm tone in her voice.

Raiden nods at her before stepping forward. He stops in front of Tallulah, his shadow swallowing her small figure. Tallulah looks up at him, a hint of irritation on her face. No, she was mad, her crimson eyes flashing furiously. She was wearing the same expression she had recently when they faced. If she still had any strength left in her, she might have already attacked him.