Chapter 5: "Mystery Game"

Note: This is a double update so go to Chapter 4! I'll delete this after a few days! Thank you!

----

"T-Thank you for your offer, but-"

Akio wanted to turn him down, but Vincent insisted.

His home was pretty far so...

"Okay then..." Akio entered the car and placed the books on his lap. Vincent noted that they were mystery novels. After Akio was seated comfortably, the traffic light turned green in time. When Vincent asks Akio where to drop him off, Akio tells him an address that was nearby his actual address.

"How have you been?" Vincent asks.

"I've been good, you?"

"Good as well."

"..."

"..."

"My friend and I are playing a new mystery game." Vincent suddenly mentions, glancing at Akio for a reaction then his eyes return to the road. Akio then let out a happy noise, clearly invested in the mystery game. Akio wanted to join, that sounds like fun!

"What's it about this time?" Akio asks eagerly.

"Do you want to join?"

"Can I really!?"

Vincent nods. "Of course, but I'll have to warn you, I'm pretty competitive."

Akio visibly looked afraid, but persevered. "I'll beat you."

"Oh?" Vincent couldn't help but smile a little. "Okay, you're on. I'll explain the rules. One of the players has to make up a mystery and it's the other players' jobs to solve that mystery within a time limit. In this case, my friend was the one who gave out a scenario and it's our job to solve that. Whoever figures it out first will get a prize."

"I'm in!"

So eager...

"What's it about?"

"Hm...It's a homicide case. The victim was found in their room with drugs that cause hallucinations and make the user feel as if they are in a state of nirvana. From their perspective, they feel as if they are heroes making right, but in actuality, they are doing the opposite. It also acts like an energy drink, making them aggressively hyper."

"..."

Vincent glanced at Akio once more, noticing how the man was so focused and his expression was more serious and in deep concentration. He looked like a different person all over again.

Vincent clears his throat and continues. "My friend said that these drugs likely came from an organization. I suspect he's a recruiter for the organization and spreads the drug's effects to his relatives and colleagues to influence them. Speaking of relatives and colleagues, he also made a few enemies out of them."

"..."

"..."

"That's all?" Akio asks. "What about the state of the body?"

"Clean kill, victim looked shocked before dying, and no other injury other than a slitted throat."

"The perpetrator is most likely from the organization." Akio immediately answered.

Vincent narrows his eyebrows, his eyes twitching. "Oh? Why do you say so?"

"As you said, a clean kill. The case sounds like an assassination more than anything, but this is just from guesses, alright? If the victim was killed by a relative or colleague, then we have to suspect that one of them knows how to kill so well without fighting or struggling with the victim."