Chapter 92: Call upon the devil

Not proofread (man I should get a beta reader at one point lol)

When the dark smoke enveloped the group, Seungmin frantically grabbed for the people closest to him. He caught Changbin's wrist and brushed Hyunjin's hand, but he failed to get a good hold on the siren. A cough erupted from the redhead's throat as he tried to take a deeper breath. The smoke was burning in his lungs, but it wasn't poisonous. Things would be a lot different if it was.

Seungmin squinted against the smoky darkness surrounding him, trying to make out the forms of the other members of Stray Kids and Taeil. The only one he could see was Hyunjin and he knew Changbin was a bit behind him because he still held tightly onto the vampire's wrist.

"We need to get out of the smoke," Changbin coughed. His free hand covered his mouth and nose in an attempt to get one breath in that didn't taste like colored dust. Seungmin nodded in agreement, reaching for Hyunjin again until he saw a movement in the smoke behind the siren. For a moment, Seungmin hoped it would be a member of his group, but they wouldn't try to conceal themselves in the smoke.

"Hyunjin, move!," Seungmin yelled, letting go of Changbin in favor of dashing forward. Hyunjin rolled himself off the side while Seungmin covered his hands in magic while mumbling a defensive spell. The spell was finished just in time for the redhead to catch the gleaming edge of a sword.

A brush of wind passed Seungmin's right ear as Changbin sprinted forward punching the hunter in the chest and sending him flying into the wall of smoke, disappearing from sight. A breath of relief left them both, but they had to keep their guard up.

Seungmin doubted the hunters could see better in this thick smoke than them, so it was essentially a game of hide and seek. They could use this to their advantage and slip away, but they needed to find the others which could potentially screw over that plan.

"Hyunjin's gone," Changbin noted with far less concern in his voice than Seungmin had expected. Yet, that was hardly the vampire's fault. His red eyes were shining blood red even in the darkness of the almost black smoke surrounding them.

Seungmin looked around in hopes of spotting the siren anyway. They couldn't call for him if they didn't want to attract attention to themselves. The redhead cursed underneath his breath, trying to come up with something to do now. It caused the two voices that argued in his head to become a tad louder. One suggested that he just disregarded all safety and called for Hyunjin. If a hunter found them Seungmin could simply kill him. The other voice immediately argued that it wouldn't be right to kill even a hunter. After all, they just wanted to get away and not hurt anybody.

A frustrated noise left Seungmin involuntarily. He hated those two voices and he hated that he couldn't agree with either. It was a debate meant for eternity and therefore utterly useless to Seungmin. 

A faint noise attracted Seungmin's attention and ripped him out of his head. It was a distant cheer followed by a familiar voice that shouted something in relief. The redhead had no clue who had cheered but he knew the voice of Hyunjin better than he had anticipated. If the siren was shouting something in relief then it meant he was most likely safe. It caused the two voices in Seungmin's head to call down.

"Let's just try to get out of here. I think Hyunjin's safe," Seungmin said quietly to Changbin, reaching for the other's hand. The vampire took the invitation, slotting their hands together to not lose each other.

"Maybe, Ms. Hwang found them. Taeyong on the rest of the groups that were in the headquarter should be out," the vampire explained in a whisper, free hand reaching up to his head to massage his temple, "But I'm not sure. The mind link sort of .... just broke. I can't.... I can't hear them anymore."