eleven.

CHAPTER ELEVEN
three years

Lucious

next day

Lucious' muscle weakness was becoming more frequent. He had almost fallen about five times this morning, and it was getting alarming. He wouldn't know what was wrong until he saw his doctor, which was happening today.

Lucious was getting ready right now, but Cookie
popped into his bedroom. "Morning, Lucious."

He huffed and spoke calmly. "Listen Cookie, I'll allow you inside of the house, but please do not come into my bedroom."

"Oh please, Lucious. I don't need a damn invitation. I should probably own 50% of this mansion too, for all I know." Then she looked at him curiously. "You used my drug money to buy this place, too?"

Lucious wasn't entertaining her. Not today. "Alright, I don't have time for this. I have a doctor's appointment."

"Why do you need to see the doctor?"

"Because I do."

"Well, this will be quick," Cookie began. "Are you getting Jamal his condo?"

"I'm handling it, okay?" he answered in an annoyed tone.

"Mhm. And are you handling Hakeem and his attitude?"

"I can't make him love you, Cookie. But I told him to respect you."

"But he's not, Lucious! That's the problem!" Cookie shouted.

"What do you want me to do, Cookie?!"

"Discipline his ass for once. Because, believe me, you don't want me to do it."

Lucious let out an exasperated sigh because this was too much stress. "Look, maybe you need to bond with him."

"How am I supposed to do that when he doesn't wanna be in the same room as me, genius?"

"Well, what does Hakeem love more than anything?"

"I don't know because I haven't been here for seventeen years!"

"His music," Lucious informed her. "How about you listen to some of his songs and tell him how great they are, and bond over it! I don't know! Do something, Cookie!"

Cookie liked that suggestion. "That's actually not a bad idea. You a little smart, huh, Lucious?"

He just rolled his eyes. "I have to go."

"Wait! There's one more thing!"

"You're going to make me late, Cookie!"

"We need to talk about you and I," Cookie said.

Was she crazy? "There is no us. There hasn't been Coocious in years."

Cookie gave him a disgusted look. "Not in that way, Lucious."

"Then what way?"

She was about to answer, but his alarm went off. He had to leave right now, so this conversation was going to have to wait.

-

Lucious was at the doctor's office. The doctor was looking at him sadly. "Well, Lucious, the news I'm about to tell you isn't good. Are you sure you want to know?"

"I need to."

He exhaled deeply. "Okay. I'm going to break this news as gently as possible. You have...ALS."