Chapter 3: A Little Heart-to-Heart

"Agghh!" Oregon cried as he was blinded by a sudden bright flash. When he vision returned he found himself in an empty, black void.

"Did...did I die?" he said to nobody in particular.

"In your world, yes." A disembodied voice replied. There was another bright flash, and a tall, white-haired woman in a white robe floated in front of Oregon.

"So...me being picked up and flung into that building and getting smashed really happened?" Oregon asked, totally not surprised by this strange woman's sudden appearance.

The woman nodded. "However, it doesn't have to end here. I am giving you an opportunity to in a sense relive your life in a different world from this one."

"I'm listening." Oregon replied.

"You can call me Eve, the deity responsible for watching over my world, which is currently being invaded an alien race known as the Sirens. Their attitude is one of curiosity and teasing, as they are currently focused on learning as much as possible about this world before they make any major moves."

"Who opposes them?"

"An organization named Azur Lane, composed of multiple different factions of ships. You will recognize them from your own world, though all the ships will all be female and have human bodies. You will gain a body too, and have the exact same abilities they have, with, of course, your own special qualities."

Oregon mulled this info over. "So, ships are humans...and they're under attack by aliens. Everyone is female, so that means...I'm gonna be the only shipboy." Oregon's tone was one of dread.

"That's pretty much it."

"What time period is it?"

"The early 1940s."

"So...it's gonna be the Pacific War all over again...this time with aliens. Interesting....So, if I accept, there's no coming back here?"

Eve shook her head. "Nope. Remember: to your world, you are dead."

Oregon continued to think out loud. "If this is the 1940s again...then any ship-to-ship fighting will be way out of my league. I was built in the late 1800s, you know. I'm not exactly capable of surface warfare at the moment."

"To sweeten the deal for you, I can offer what I can to get you upgrades. Improved armor, better firepower, better speed, you name it. I can even change your design to a more modern one."

"As much as I'd like that, I think I'll hold off, at least for now. But I doubt I can refuse your request, so I accept."

Eve sighed in relief. "Thank you. You have my personal gratitude, and I'm certain the ships you will meet will appreciate your assistance as well."

"Let's make this a little more formal." Oregon saluted. "I, USS Oregon, the Bulldog of the Navy, formally promise to do my best to help you and your world."

"I'm glad I have you to count on," Eve replied.

Bright light once more surrounded Oregon. Before everything went white he saw Eve give him one last wave and whisper, "Good luck."