Good Joke

This summer Aspen and I went to camp Eden again. Connie decided to stay back with Guy and Julie said she spent enough time away from home, so she'd pass for this summer.

Camp was fun, the usual. I did get best player out of the whole camp this year, though. Guess the junior goodwill games really paid off. I got interviewed by the national newspaper again and I was on the news. I, of course, talked about female empowerment. The interviewer, Casey McGraw, absolutely loved it, she kept asking more and more about it.

Shortly after we got back everyone who didn't live in Minnesota met together back with us again. We all got Eden Hall scholarships. Eden hall is the high school of the camp we went to. The camp director said I was pretty well known around the school already and he wishes me luck, I'm not sure how I feel about being well known, though.

The first time I saw everyone again was at the scholarship ceremony. Everyone changed completely, they looked completely different. I mean, a good different. I changed a bit durning the summer if I do say so myself.

Adam looked—good, to say the least. We weren't exactly on, well, speaking terms as of right now. You know, because of the whole...thing, that happened last year.

Everyone was accepting the scholarship except Emily, Larson, and unfortunately Jesse and Dean. We're all upset that Dean isn't accepting, but I think Fulton's most upset. Dean's like his other half. I mean they're bash brothers for god sakes. Now he's just a bash...brother?

Emily wasn't exactly given an option to accept or not, in fact, she didn't even get one. After the championship game, she got sent back to the Iceland team, we can all care less about her. She's long gone, thank god. If I had to spend even a second more with her, I would actually go insane.

Jesse decided to go to school where Terry goes because he thought it'd be better to spend high school with a brother. We all understand, and we'll miss him just as much as Dean.

And for Larson—well, he got an offer for a school in Italy. I remember him telling me that was his dream school and he'd do anything to get there, I'm happy he's there right now. Though I think Adam may be a bit happier he's not here anymore.

Luis is hosting an end of summer party at his grandparents vacation house, only an hour away from Aspen's. I've been staying at Aspen's, Bombay's, and the Conway's a of couple times. Bombay goes out on a lot of business trips and Miss. Conway doesn't feel comfortable having me stay by myself, so she insists I stay with her and Charlie or Aspen.

-

"How about this?" Aspen questioned twirling around. We're getting ready for Luis' party and she's trying on outfits. I'm already ready, and look better than ever, may I add. But Aspens having a little trouble finding an outfit.

"For a clown wedding, yeah." I laughed at the colorful outfit she had on. She was trying on some of her grandmas old clothes since hers 'weren't good enough', at least that's what she said.

"I didn't think it was that bad. I think it looks good." She said trying to convince herself. Her eyes widen while she looked down at the dress. "Do you want a mirror?" I questioned while my face scrunched up at the mix of all the colors. "Yeah, time to change." She shook her head quickly.

"Hurry up, though. We're gonna be late." I called to her while she yelled back, "Fuck off, the party doesn't start till we get there anyway." Her muffled voice shouted back from the closet.

I walked into Bianca's room and she was sitting on her bed reading the newspaper. Which was really odd seeing as most seniors don't read the newspaper. Well really, no one does, Only the senior citizens. "Hello there, Bandit." She smirked dangling the newspaper in front of my face.

That's why.

"Oh suck it, B. I'm just looking for something Aspen could wear to this party. She's in there trying on your grandmas old clothes. They may have been good back in the day, but uh...not so anymore."

"Oh, god. Not grandma Mira's old clothes. Those things belong in a museum. Here, I'll grab something of mine. The poor girl will embarrass herself if she wears those things."

She got up and went through her closet while I touched up my eyeliner in her mirror. "Got it, tell her to try this. B-T-W you look totally hot. Don't have too much fun." She winked at me and I rolled my eyes before going back to Aspens room.

"Okay. If you ignore the fact that these look like curtains, it can definitely be a cute outfi-" Aspen spoke turning to the door as I came in. "Oh hell no. Take that off. Here, wear this. And hurry up."

-

We got to the party a little while ago and we've all just been catching up. It's not really a dancing on tables type party, more of a hang out party. I'm talking to Connie about her and Guy while Aspen talked to Charlie. If you ask me, they're definitely back together.

"Guys, can I make an announcement. I know this is like cheesy and shit but like listen to me." Aspen yelled and when no one stopped talking she rolled her eyes. "Listen to me you assholes!" She shouted and everyone immediately stopped talking and looked towards her.

"Uh, this is really hard for me to say but, I won't be attending Eden hall with you guys."

I felt my heart drop before letting out a little laugh. "Good joke." I spoke up laughing. "I'm not joking. I got accepted to a school in Toronto where I can finally take up journaling and traveling. I got accepted yesterday and I wanted to tell you guys before I leave tomorrow."

My heart hurt every time it took a beat, and everything was blurry from the tears that filled my eyes. "Scarlett-" Adam started in a soft voice while walking towards me. "I need air." I breathed out pushing past people to walk out onto the back yard.

Aspen's my best friend. We promised we'd never leave each other. How could she not tell me? I don't know how I'm going to make it through four years with out her.

It's not that big of a deal, but it is to me. I need Aspen. This is even worse than when Adam cheated on me.

"Hey. Can I sit?" Aspen's voice came from behind me. "Yeah." I sniffed moving over so she had room. "Listen, I'm so so so sorry. I thought really hard about my final decision but I just had to accept. And I'm so sorry." She said quietly slinging an arm around my shoulders.

"No, no. Don't apologize. I'm so happy for you, I really am. This is your dream, you've wanted this since you were three. I mean, I remember talking about it with you in preschool."

"Yeah," She laughed a little and looked down for a minute. "I'm sorry I'm leaving. And I'm sorry I didn't tell you." She took a deep breath while I blinked tears out of my eyes. "Don't be. How shitty of a friend would I be to hold you back from your dream?" I laughed wiping the tears off my face. "Really shitty." She joked while we laughed.

"Go. Live your dream. Take pictures, journal, travel. Do all the things you've always wanted to do. I'm so happy you're finally gonna be able to. The team won't be the same with out you, but we'll try as hard as we can."

"Oh god. I'm crying, my makeups gonna mess up." She fanned her face while I laughed through the tears. She tipped her head back and I wiped a tear so it wouldn't mess up her makeup. "Thanks." She sniffled and chuckled a little bit.

"I'll call everyday." I spoke while we stood up.

"Yes, please. I'll miss you more than you can even imagine. You'll be fine here?" She questioned wrapping her arms around my neck. "I'll manage. Just worry about yourself, alright? I got this." I nodded and she smiled at me before we walked back inside.

Yeah, I definitely didn't got this.

-
yeah i cried writing this chapter, what about it?!

- kayla:)