Chapter 88: Perfect Match

Jayden's POV

Time passed in the blink of an eye as we awaited Kevin's trial. He had seemed remorseful for his mistakes and was willing to do anything to avoid going to prison or to even get a lesser sentence, but we weren't having it. He had to face the music.

He had tried getting a chance to have a conversation with Kyra, but I allowed no such thing to happen. The pain and trauma she had experienced because of him and his malicious plans were enough. I wasn't going to let him anywhere near her again and hurt her.

At this moment when he had ruined his own life, he was on his own. Even his girlfriend, Kylie, had left him and was testifying against him in court. I believed that he deserved everything he was facing and I didn't have any sort of mercy on him.

After all, he had been part of the plan to end my life and separate me from the love of my life. He didn't deserve any sort of mercy no matter how much he begged to be pardoned. It was better to have him out of our lives for good than to have regrets later when he gave us more problems.

I held Kyra's hand even tighter and looked at her as the judge's verdict drew close to being announced. This had really been a tough moment, but she had been strong. The trial had been an agonising and purely brutal process I wished would have been skipped if possible, but the law was the law. Justice had to be served.

We had been here before in this same courtroom on Trevor's trial months ago. The only difference was Kyra hadn't attended that trial because she was traumatised and sick. She needed more time to herself to heal plus, back then, she hated going public after everything that had happened.

This time around it was different. She was present on her own accord. She wanted to tell her story on her own and testify in court. She was well prepared for this although it made her nervous at first.

I was there for her every step of the way, holding her hand and attending to every need of hers. Layton and I sat on either side of her, supporting her and giving her the strength she needed.

Layton, Flavia and Lisa had been very supportive and they had our backs every step of the way. They were working hard on their relationship with Kyra and I loved how we had reached a point where we could proudly say they loved her just as much as she loved them. They respected and loved her and it was amazing to finally see them happy without pretending.

The lawyers and the prosecution had been well prepared with efficient evidence and witnesses. We had had several meetings together, discussing the case and making necessary preparations. It was enough for the ruling of this case to be in our favour.

Kyra had played the greatest part of us all. She had to be strong and relive all the painful memories from scratch. She testified consistently even under vigorous cross examination. She answered all the questions truthfully and perfectly well in a way that didn't leave any fingers pointing at her and clearly proved that Kevin was guilty. I was proud of her.

Kevin had committed many felonies including attempted murder, attempted rape, harassment and abuse. The judge's verdict was obvious after all the evidence that had been presented and the intensity of all the crimes Kevin had committed.

It was almost over. Almost.

"After careful deliberation, the defendant, Mr. Kevin Morgan has been found guilty of all charges," the judge announced and murmurs broke throughout the once silent courtroom.

The judge whacked her gavel on the sound block to get everyone's attention and there was silence once again.

"This court hereby sentences Mr. Kevin Morgan to twenty-five years to life in prison," the judge announced the sentence and she whacked the gavel on the sound block again, sealing his fate as loud murmurs erupted throughout the courtroom.