12

It was a beautiful morning and since it was cloudless and the sun was up, there seemed to be a fluctuation of people who had the same idea of getting some sun and coffee at once. Young people brought picnic baskets, children played with dogs, tourists came and took pictures of the fountain in the middle of the piazza, overall it was a good day to enjoy life.

The man was enjoying a cup of espresso in the cafe on the sidewalk, overlooking people, mostly tourists, feeding the wild pigeons. He put his dark glasses on top of his head, taming his longish dark hair. He wore a fitting white shirt, specially tailored for him, khaki pants and sockless buttery leather pantofel. His skin was a healthy tan and right now, he lifted his brow, just in time with the appearance of a familiar shadow in front of him. 

"So, it is really you."

The familiar mocking tone belonged to the only one person in the whole world who did not have any fear for him. The one whose only one drop of her blood could kill his kind completely. The one whose name was still causing fear to the older generation. The one who made a peace pact with him many moons ago, or else there would be nothing left to play with. He sighed.

"My horoscope said that I should not leave home today, well, supposed I should listen next time." The man put down the small cup and observed the three newcomers. "Still the King's dog, I see." He nodded to Lan Wangji.

"Watch your mouth. She's my wife now." Lan Wangji never liked this man ever since their first meeting a long time ago, and vice versa.

"Ooh, being upgraded, Xianxian? I did notice the gender change. It suits you." He saluted Wei Wuxian with his cup. "So, what can I do to you, gentlemen? And ladies, sorry."

"Before anything else, I'd like to introduce you to my son, the one you were supposed to meet today. Carmine de Medici? Really?" Wei Wuxian looked at the man skeptically. They had a very long history, and not all of them good, but they managed to stay civil after all this time.

"Your son? You mean, your biological son? With Ice King?" The man looked at Lan Wangji with a new light in his eyes. "I thought Devourer couldn't have offspring, you know, danger to every living being and so on." He looked at He Xuan with renewed interest. "This man is human. Are you sure he's your son?"

"Hundred percent. And he carried my blood, so tell your minions not to fuck around with him and Yuwen International." Wei Wuxian glared at the mysterious man, who was still observing He Xuan with awe in his eyes.

"Fascinating."

"Luci."

"Yes, yes, I'll tell everyone to stay away from your kid."

"Good. Now, Xuanxuan, meet the real de Medici Patriarch, well, the only Patriarch since he went around and changed his name every now and then, Cossimo di Giovanni de Medici, a.k.a Lucifer Morningstar himself."

"Well, nowadays I prefer Carmine. Nice to meet you Signore He Xuan. I will make sure to send words to all my offspring to only work with you now."

"You got a horde of nephilim now, Luci? Are you trying to take over the world or what?"

"Bah, nephilim my ass, they're just inferior beings with no power at all. Some of them might exhibit a little extra insight, but none of the olden day power like you and I have. Guess it says so much about the humans' quality these days, huh? They say it's all because of the water." He whispered to Wei Wuxian in conspirative gesture.

"Now I'm going to stop you there before you start to ramble conspiracy theories about how the Leviathan tried to poison the water just to get back at you for that little prank you did back then."

"You knew that too?" Carmine gasped dramatically. "I said I was sorry back then, but you know how petty the Leviathans are!"

He Xuan was speechless, he knew he did not need Wei Wuxian's help with business, but this? This was all a new territory for him. First Medici Patriarch? Lucifer Morningstar? The devil himself? Nephilim? Leviathan? He felt like his head was about to explode from the excess overwhelming feeling when Lan Wangji patted his back in understanding.

"They're just catching up, no need to think much about it."

"Don't worry about that petty stuff, Son of the Devourer. This all happened a long time ago. Now, we're just businessmen. Mostly." Carmine de Medici grinned at He Xuan, showing off his perfect teeth. "Now, do you want to get to business? I know you're not here to reminisce about olden days. Is it about the new player in town?" He signaled one of the waiters to bring some more coffee for them.

"What do you know about the new player in town?" Wei Wuxian sat down beside Lan Wangji and put a lot of sugar and milk in his coffee, followed by Carmine's disgusted look.

"Only that they're greedy, ruthless, and will do anything for the right price. I can look further into it if you want, got a beef or two of my own."

"Sure, and keep your eyes and ears about someone who does some experiments with nanotechnology to make super soldiers. Government?"

"Nah, the government is not going to make this kind of rash move without me knowing. I heard something else though, you probably should check. There's an infamous underground fighting ring, not only for humans, but for monsters and demons alike. The winner will get a lot of money and some kind of immortality serum. Interested?"

"Where?"

"Do you believe that snake's words?" Lan Wangji was obviously fumed when they left Carmine after they got what they needed from him, although the authenticity of the info should be at least verified first.

"It's a start, babe." Wei Wuxian smiled and hugged Lan Wangji. She knew that the bad blood between those two went back a long time ago, and if she didn't need his help, she wouldn't come within a country closer. "Let's get back to where we left off those people. I got a theory I want to test."

On the way back to Yuwen International, Xie Lian called him to let him know that Hua Cheng had awoken and he was fine. Noah was also still there to make sure to help them with anything they needed.

"Good. I want to ask him about an illegal underground fighting ring between monsters and humans and any species. We'll be there in a few minutes."