THIRTY FIVE

It would be nice to justify our actions; a find plausible reasons as to why we did the horrible things we did. But at the end of the day, the end didn't really justify the means-not always.

Lives could be ruined through the means we choose to reach our desirable end. An end that would only benefit ourselves.

So no, I don't believe the end really justifies the means. It only tries to make it less disheartening.

◈ ━━━━━━━ ⸙ - ⸙ ━━━━━━━ ◈

FIVE YEARS EARLIER

Kenneth Kanayo had aged too much for someone in his early thirties but he wasn't complaining. The fact that he had an eighteen year old son didn't help matters either.

If he was only thirty four then when had he birthed someone that old?

An annoying question for Kenneth. He loved his children, how they had come to be was irrelevant.

Grabbing the KFC he'd bought earlier from the kitchen table, he bounced back into the sitting room, humming one of his favorite songs by Michael Jackson.

The football game was about to start and Kenneth was clad wearing his blue jersey as though that would bring good luck to his team.

He settled down on the couch in front of the TV. The children were with their mother, meaning there would be no distractions whatever. Kenneth could get used to this.

The game had barely started and he hadn't even opened his KFC when the buzzing alarm resounded throughout the house. That meant there was someone at the gate.

Kenneth ignored it for the first twenty seconds. If whatever or whoever it was was that important to be disturbing at that time of the night, then they wouldn't mind staying at the gate for a little longer. Although he silently wished the buzzing would stop-just to prove that it wasn't important after all.

He reluctantly stood up after a minute, mumbling curses at whoever was interrupting him. Assuming the kids were home, he would've just sent them to check who it was. Now, he was just seeing that being home alone was probably not the best idea.

Even the security guard was on leave. Kenneth was now regretting granting him that leave.

There was a little screen close to the gate that displayed footage from the camera outside the gate. On normal circumstances, Kenneth wouldn't look at him but then, it was past ten in the night, he wasn't taking his chances.

The footage wasn't that clear but he could make out the figure of a girl wearing Kendrick's school uniform, without the blazer. She looked familiar.

He sighed, pushing one of the buttons beneath the screen and the gate slowly slide to the side to reveal Esther, Kendrick's friend-or so Kendrick had said. Kenneth couldn't believe his son thought he could fool him, she was definitely his girlfriend. Or at least he liked her-that he knew for sure.

His eyebrows creased in confusion. "Esther," he called, as if to make sure she was really the one leaning against the pillar, barely standing on her feet.

"Good evening..." her words were drawled and she was struggling to keep her eyes open. She was still in uniform quite alright but she looked messed up.

"Are you okay? What's the problem?"

Maybe she was drunk? But Kenneth couldn't perceive alcohol from her.