Chapter 21

'Should I just explain that this is mine? Zhongli is a good soul, he would have some understanding for my situation

'Should I just explain that this is mine? Zhongli is a good soul, he would have some understanding for my situation. But then there was Venti's reaction... I mean it could be that he was just playing with me and it is just some old and/or expensive stone. But what if not and then Zhongli sees me as a threat that needs to be eliminated... Why am I always considering the worst options? Even if it turns out to be something questionable, I did nothing wrong. I went to sleep in my room and then woke up on a field. There is nothing illegal to that.'

'Thank you.', the Archon's voice interrupts your thoughts before you become philosophical.

'Eh, for what exactly?'

'For helping me to aquire this gem.'

'No problem. Though, could you in return tell me something about it? Your great interest doesn't come from nowhere. Pleeeaase.', you use puppy eyes to increase your chance of success.

'No.'

Your pleading expression is replaced by a surprised one. 'What.'

'It is not to your concern.'

'Not my concern? For god's sake, this is one of the most vague answers you could give me. Maybe this needs a more direct approach - No I can't risk messing up my relationship with him yet. In the end it will make things more complicated for Aether too.'

Deciding not to press on the topic further you ask him about other subjects. 'I see. It's just that I heard that you have a vast knowledge in the themes of history and stones...'

'You're interested in such topics?'

'Yes..? Is that wrong?'

'I assoziate everything here with a game. Because of this you have my full attention.'

'I simply thought that... No, never mind. Is there anything specific you want to know?'

You pause for a moment. 'Well... Could you propose something? There are so many storys of gods and adeptis to choose from. Rex Lapis, the God of Dust Guizhong, the Yakshas, the God of Salt, Osial... Okay, the last one is a sea monster but you get my point, right?'

'How about we start right at the beginning of your list?'

The evening continues and you two end up enjoying your conversation. You because it's not everyday you get to talk to a well-liked fictional character and he because your view on the topics is refreshingly different compared to the historians’ one which may have its reasons in your sources.

'Speaking with you reminds me of someone.'

'...In a negative or positive way?'

'This person was my friend.', the dark-haired man answers.

'Doesn't answer my question. Since this person was your friend it could be that I remind you of a painfull loss in the past. Even if that person nice and all, my behaviour could scratch an old scars and hurt you deeply.', with an serious expression you look forward.

'No, being with you gives me a warm and welcoming feeling. Are you asking me this because you have sufferd a loss yourself? Of course you don't have to answer if it is something you don't want to talk about.'

'I - Yes, you could put it that way.'

Silence.

'Did I... ruin the mood? It wasn't supposed to sound that depressing. What to say, what to say...'

'What a beautiful Glaze Lily.', Zhongli stops pushing your wheelchair and kneels down to take a closer look of the flower which grows on the right side of the path you're on.

'I think it would fit your hair perfectly.'

Before the Archon can do anything you stop him. 'No no, I think it looks more beautiful in its natural habitat. Nowadays Glaze Lilies are so rare that it would be a waste to pick it at all.'

'In the end you notice that I am wearing a wig and I don't want to explain everything to you.'

Zhongli stands up again. 'I believe that gifting it to someone as you is no waste at all, but the fact that they have become rare is true. Maybe I can find a less endangered gift for you.'

His gentle tone matches his gentle smile perfectly causing your heart to skip a beat. 'Y-you don't have to, really. Your presence allone is enough.'

'I doubt that you would give me my stone.'

The god looks up to the moon. 'Even if I don't want to go yet, I think we have to return to the Wangsheng Funeral Parlor. Hu Tao probably already returned asking herself where we are.'

'Probably. If your schedule allows it, we can spend some time together tomorrow too.'

'I look forward to it.'

I hope you enjoyed reading and stay healhy!