Part 29

Finally, I'm feeling calm as I walk down Moxie's street and see her big, red house at the end of the block. It's hard to miss. I make it to the front of the house, but before I climb the steps and knock on the door, I look around me for a moment and soak it all in, taking a big, deep breath. In and out.

I walk up the steps and knock on the oversized, blue front door. No one answers. I knock again, this time much harder and then wait a few moments. Still, no one answers. I panic. Then, I look again at the card inside the envelope. It says to be at her house at 2:30 sharp.

I look at my watch - 2:31. Am I late? Does one minute count as being late??

I search frantically for a doorbell. Maybe she can't hear me knocking. I don't see a doorbell anywhere! It's now 2:33. I'm technically three minutes late. I start to pace back-and-forth in front of the door.

I check my watch again - 2:35. How serious was that lady at the desk about Moxie not liking it when people are late? What if I should have been early?

I knock one last time on the door, pounding as hard as I can. Then, I hear a click and it opens.

There she is in all her glory - Moxie Perez - dressed in her golden Galactic Squad jumpsuit, lips painted with that special shade of red lipstick. Her hair is silky and wavy and dark - black like licorice. Her skin glows golden-brown. She looks exactly the same as she did in the comics that I used to read. Actually, maybe even better - she radiates with power and grace. And now she's no longer a cartoon but a real, live human being! Standing in front of my face! I pinch myself to make sure this is all real.

The image of me bowing and touching her feet races across my mind. I shake it out. How weird would it be if I did that? Though, I can't lie - I have a strong urge to do so.

"Hello, Karina," she says.

"Ms. Perez," I sputter. "It's...it's such an honor."

She looks at me with a funny expression on her face. I wonder if I said something wrong.

"Were you waiting here for very long?" she asks.

"Oh no, not at all," I respond. "Just got here."

"Then you were late?" she asks, raising an eyebrow.

"Oh, um no actually," I respond, nervous. "I was here on time, I think?"

She stares at me for a moment, looks me up and down, as if assessing whether or not she should let me enter her home. I stand there, awkward and silent.

"Come on. Come inside," she finally says. "It's cold outside today. Please take off your shoes."

She ushers me in and I follow, shutting the door behind me and taking off my boots. There are racks on the floor filled with shoes. Moxie has a great collection for herself. I glance at her feet and notice that they're bare - no shoes, no socks. Her toenails are painted red - the same color as her lipstick, and she wears a golden toe ring on her left foot.

I can't believe she thinks I might have been late. I wonder if I should bring it up again and apologize. But then it will seem like I was late when I'm pretty sure I was on time.

My mind is reeling.

"I was just making some tea," she continues. "Would you like a cup?"

"Sure, that sounds great," I answer.

Does she know about how I got into the Squad? She must. Is she evaluating me right now? I wonder if Xeno wants her to confirm whether or not I should even be in the Squad in the first place? Is this a test?