Chapter Forty Eight - Fame and Speeches

"Silva starts off the fight with a punch that could be a knock out, there's so much force behind it." Mark commented.

"And another!" Dan continued, "Silva is thrusting with all his force. This is a good tactic if you can catch the opponent but you do run the risk of losing too much energy on these heavy hitting punches. Miller looks like a skilled veteran avoiding all these swings."

Silva lifted his right arm as though to jab, and Lucas avoided the manoeuvre right as Silva punched with his left arm, hitting Lucas square in the face.

Silva took his opportunity to punch Lucas once, twice, three times. Lucas's eyebrow was split and bleeding into his eye.

Lucas lifted his leg so quickly, I almost missed the action as he hit Silva square in the chest, Silva's steps faltering.

He used this chance to leap forward and begin punching him anywhere, everywhere - the ribs, stomach, head.

Silva looked like a rag doll, trying and failing to protect his face, until the bell chimed, but Lucas kept hitting and hitting, his face lucid with anger.

Two referees jumped into the ring and pulled the two men apart.

Lucas fell onto a stool at the edge of the ring and Miguel was by his side in a moment wiping down his split eyebrow and giving him water, shouting last minute tips at him.

The bell rang and the second round began. This time, Silva waited with his arms up defensively in front of his bruised face.

Lucas eyed the approach before lifting his leg for another kick, only this time Silva caught it and dragged it forward, throwing Lucas's balance off kilter.

Silva zeroed in onto a small area on Lucas's ribs and began to punch repeatedly with all of his strength. Lucas suddenly yelled loudly and I winced as I heard a deafening crack.

"That's definitely a broken rib, Dan," Mark stated.

"No doubt about that, Mark. Lucas is going to have to reel himself out of this if he wants that title. He has to show what he's gained over the last nine championship fights or Silva will be the middleweight champion for the second time around."

"That would be an honour right there," Mark responded.

I watched in horror as Silva lunged for Lucas and caught him into a chokehold, tightening his grip around Lucas's neck with his arm.

Lucas twisted and turned but Silva wouldn't loosen his hold, a smug smirk playing on his features.

My stomach turned. I felt nauseous.

"Lucas! Kick that smug, sorry, son of a bitch of an asshole for me!" Daniel bellowed out, his arms straining on his seat as he lifted his upper body with his arms in true emotion. "Fight for me! Fight for us!"

Lucas's eyes flickered to Daniel, Miguel, who was screaming at him, Kyle who was standing on his chair and yelling out profanities, and finally, me. I saw pure determination spread across his features and suddenly, I knew. He would win this fight. He'd take home the championship.

He threw his legs abruptly, his knee slamming into Silva's head, which loosened his chokehold just enough for Lucas to flip on him. His leg and arm wrapped around Silva's neck as he held tightly.