Part 31

"Good evening," Xeno booms into the microphone at the center of the stage. "Welcome back to the closing ceremony for the first day of newbie-Cadet training."

Everyone claps.

"I'd like to begin this evening's ceremony by announcing our newest Captains," Xeno continues. "Will all of the nominees please take the stage."

A handful of older Cadets, including Zayn, gets up from their seats and makes their way to the stage. They stand in a straight line, behind Xeno.

One-by-one, Xeno calls each of their names, announcing which Cohort they will be overseeing.

"Jade Niryal - Cohort 14," announces Xeno. Everyone cheers as she steps forward and receives her pin.

Xeno then calls Zayn's name. He steps forward and does a funny little dance move. Everyone laughs. I roll my eyes but can't help grinning and joining in when everyone claps and cheers for him.

It's so hard not to love this kid, I think to myself. Then I look over at Eva, who is standing up and screaming "Go Zayn!" and I get sort of nauseous.

"Congratulations, Captains," Xeno concludes. "Well done."

The new Captains step down from the stage and take their seats in the audience.

"Now, we have one more special announcement before we conclude for the evening," adds Xeno.

"There is only one Cohort left that does not know who its fifth member is," Xeno says.

People start to whisper.

"Everyone, please settle down," says Xeno. The auditorium goes completely silent.

"Cohort 53, will you please proceed to the stage," commands Xeno.

I rise from my seat. Together, Eva, Max, Zayn and I walk to the stage. We stand in a cluster beside Xeno.

"Will the fifth Cadet-mate of Cohort 53 please come onto the stage," booms Xeno.

There is a rustling sound from the corner of the stage. I can barely make out a shadow of a figure - it looks like a male. He is tall and lean. Slowly, his silhouette emerges.

My stomach drops. I gasp.

"Niko?!!" I scream, running over to him and giving him a huge hug.

The crowd murmurs wildly.

"Kishmish," he says, tilting his head slightly and smiling a bit oddly at me.

Something feels off, but I can't quite put my finger on it. It's so subtle. What is it?

His gaze is different, somehow. His expression seems a bit strained. Almost robotic, even. He used to look at me with so much intensity and, love, but in this moment, I can't find it in his face anywhere.

"Ms. Ishma, please," says Xeno. "Step aside."

I let go of Niko and walk back to where the rest of the Cohort is standing. My mind is an explosion of thoughts scattered in a million directions.

How is Niko alive right now? How is he standing here in front of me? When did he come to Shinar? Why hasn't he contacted me? Is he mad at me? Why is he acting sort of weird? Does he think I'm responsible for what happened on Dard?

I start to feel nauseated by my own inability to control my mind. I can't focus. My vision goes blurry for a split-second, and I feel like I might faint. But, I close my eyes and take a deep breath. In and out.

"Mr. Mendes, welcome to the Galactic Squad," announces Xeno. "It is a pleasure to have you with us. You are officially a Cadet in Cohort 53."

The crowd roars with excitement.