Chapter 29

Diana had put aside all the Ancient Runes books she had gotten from the library, and only carried around the one she had picked off the Divination section. Of course, Layla didn't hold back the witty comments on Diana's strange behaviors lately, saying that she had finally gone completely mental.

Diana could live with Layla's remarks, but what was bothering her the most was that she tried desperately to forget what had happened in the dim library that night with Lupin, but she was unable to. The memory kept coming back to her in quick flashbacks, whether she was in a class or trying to sleep in be, making her want to smack her head against a wall.

To add to her frustration, there was nothing useful she could find in that Divination book. Diana still couldn't find the answer as to why she had felt such darkness and that real pain twice now.

Finally giving up, Diana put her book aside and headed up to the Great Hall for breakfast along with Layla.

"You have Quidditch practice in an hour, right?" Layla asked, gracefully cutting a slice of bread.

"Yeah. Why?" Diana asked with her mouth full. She was glad her mother wasn't around, or she would've scolded her for this.

"Thought I would come to watch the practice," said Layla, shrugging.

"Aha..." Diana gave her a suspicious look, swallowing her food. "And why would you want to do that, exactly?"

"I want to support my friend! What other reason is there?"

Diana sighed. "Let me guess... You're planning on asking out one of the boys on the team."

Layla remained quiet as she placed some jam on her bread, so Diana went on.

"It can't be Finn, cause you always say he's a dickhead. It can't be Hamish, because I know you're picky about good-looks. Regulus is a year bellow us, and you don't date younger guys —" Diana came to a halt, finally realizing who it was. "You want to ask out Tom Walker, don't you?"

"Ugh, fine! Yes!" Layla huffed in defeat.

Diana grinned, reaching out to put some sausage on her plate.

"Stop smiling like that," Layla said blankly, glaring at her.

"Like what?" Diana chuckled, still smiling arrogantly.

"Like you're a smartass who knows everything!"

"Oh, so you think so too? Thanks!" Diana said sarcastically and winked at her, taking a sip of her orange juice. Layla laughed, shaking her head.

After they were finished with breakfast, the two girls wrapped their Slytherin scarves around their necks to cover themselves from the cold weather that promised an even colder winter that year.

Diana was glad to wake up to the falling snow that day. She was quick to wear her long wooly socks with cute patterns knitted on them.

She knew that if her mother ever found her collection of dorky socks with silly patterns, she would certainly disapprove, but Diana hardly cared. She couldn't help herself but to buy a new and different pair each time they paid a visit to Hogsmeade.

So, with her socks on which nearly came up to her knees, she left the Great Hall with Layla, making their way down to the Quidditch pitch for practice.

Layla went to sit on the stands to watch them play. She had casted a Bluebell Flame inside an empty jar which could be carried around everywhere, keeping her warm against the cold.

By the time their practice was over, all the players landed on the ground and the captain started arguing with Finn — the other Slytherin Beater — about how he was always distracted during practice. But Diana knew all too well that Finn was probably being a pervert and staring at Layla's direction. He was obsessed with her.

Diana had already changed out of her Quidditch robes. Layla had now gotten off the stands and walked onto the field, her jar of blue flames still in hand as she flirted shamelessly with Tom Walker, who was one of the Chasers. Although Diana was too busy glaring at Finn.

"If only murdering was legal..." Diana muttered to herself, letting out a sigh.

"Couldn't agree more," said a voice behind her.

Turning to look over her shoulder, Diana saw Regulus Black walking toward her, his grey eyes fixed on Finn who was yelling back at Hamish. At his sight, Diana felt a smile brewing on her thin lips.

"I mean, it's only illegal if we get caught," Regulus went on, now smirking.

"I like the way you think, Black," said Diana, returning the grin.

"Hey, ready to go?" Diana turned to look at Layla, who seemed to have bade Tom goodbye and was now approaching them.

"Where are you headed to?" Regulus asked, with barely any interest detected in his voice.

"Back to the common room," Diana replied, placing her hands in her trousers' pockets to keep them warmer.

"Actually," Layla started, turning to face Diana, "I thought we could head down to the Black Lake. The water's frozen. We can go ice-skating."

"Lame."

"Boring."

Diana and Regulus said at the same time.

Layla's brows raised in amusement as she looked between them. "You know, I would've thought you two were siblings if I didn't know any better. Your behavior is just... too much alike."

"No, it's not!" Regulus retorted.

"I'm personally offended," said Diana blankly.

But Layla was grinning as she looked over at Regulus again. "Why don't you come to the Black Lake with us?"

"Absolutely not." He shook his head briskly and turned on his heel to walk away, but Layla had already grabbed his arm to hold him back.

"Yes, you are," Layla said with authority, though she was still grinning. "This is my job. I adopt cranky introverts as my children. And once I've chosen to adopted, there's no escaping."

Regulus gave Diana a worried look as Layla kept her hold on his arm.

"Don't give me that look. I can't save you," said Diana, shrugging. "She's right. You can't escape her. Trust me, I've been trying to get rid of her for years."

"Ouch," Layla said mockingly. "Anyway, let's get going. The Black Lake is calling upon us."

"But I really don't want to —" Regulus began to protest, but he groaned in defeat when Diana grabbed ahold of his other arm and so, with the help of Layla, they dragged him away.