twenty five

Lennon had to make up his mind quick before his torment of thoughts could pull him under. He snatched the wallet off the ground, stiffening like it could electrocute him any second now, and flung himself out of his home.

Finding Kieran's sister... that was his only way of redeeming himself.

He sped down the stairwell of his apartment complex, one hand grazing the rails and the other shoving his keys into his front pocket. Then he turned his attention back to the wallet Kieran left behind.

The chestnut boy pursed his lips, straightening his spine as he unclasped the snap button and opened the leather wallet.

Address... address... he needed an address—

Lennon's eyes bulged when he noticed the edge of a student ID peeking out from one of the card pockets. It was identical to his. He pulled it out—

Sara?

The realization dawned on him like a bullet to the skull. Sara, the girl he'd been having class with for the past month, was Kieran's sister?

If it were any other situation, Lennon would've giggled and said in awe— wow small world. But instead he drowned in shame.

With clumsy hands, Lennon fumbled for his phone, desperately searching for the number she lent him ever since they decided to become study buddies.

She picked up after four rings. "Hey."

"Hey Sara. It's Lennon." He wiped his sweaty palms on his jeans, steeling himself into not stuttering his way into oblivion. "You, uh, busy?"

"Well, not exactly. Why?"

I know your non-existent brother!

"I'm having trouble... with the coding?" he decided to reply with. It was partially the truth. Lennon did not expect to be coding for a statistics class and it was driving him nuts.

Her laugh was bright. "The one due tonight?"

"It is," Lennon hurried, mind running in all directions, "Is study group happening today?"

"Last I heard, nope. Everyone's snowed under work and I'll be spending quality time with my mom tonight. It's her birthday and we live together," Sara informed him. Lennon could hear a washing machine being loaded near her. "Though if you do need urgent help, I'm free anytime before six in the evening."

"You wouldn't mind?"

"No. Come over."

The chestnut boy performed a huge breath of relief. "Thank you, thank you." Lennon glanced down at the item in his hands. "Okay, this is weird but uh, I found your wallet." He chuckled nervously.

"Oh my god what?" It was her turn to breathe a sigh of relief. "Thank god. I thought I lost it forever."

"Yup. I picked it up at the library. I'll take it with me to yours."

"Thank you so much, Lennon. I'll see you later then."

"See you."

With renewed vigor, he took the stairs two steps at a time back up to his apartment, nearly ripping his bandage along a sharp edge in the process. "Socks!" he commanded, bursting through the front door, "I need you to help me find Kier—" His gaze landed on his couch. "Kieran?"

The ravenhead had tucked himself into the corner of the couch, looking at Lennon with wide, guilty eyes and shifting in his seat. Furthermore, there in his lap laid a black ball of fur.

"Ghostie," Lennon murmured, approaching slowly.

He saw how the old nickname affected him. Kieran's transparent skin may not show pink noses or swollen eyes, but Lennon always noticed the rigidness of his posture or the way his eyebrows pinched together just slightly, as if two strands away from snapping. A man who craved control and earned chaos in return.