5 | cat things

June 8th, 2005 - 5:23 p.m.

His leg was swinging lightly out of the window as he sat at the sill, his eyes trained at the clear sky. There were no clouds and the sky was bright blue - it felt relaxing to look at. Was this why he caught Y/n sitting at her window so often?

So we're friends now, huh? Chifuyu thought. He wasn't satisfied with the thought, but it was certainly a start, right? She could've still been avoiding him, which was worse than the friend-zone, right?

There was a sudden weight pressed on his lap and he looked down, seeing his cat, Peke J, nuzzling his face in his stomach and curling into himself. Chifuyu smiled as he looked down at the cat, running a hand down his back, causing him to purr.

''Must be nice to be a cat, huh?'' Chifuyu thought out loud, a small smile on his face.

Peke J's head rose up and he looked out of the window, unmoving. Chifuyu's eyebrow quirked as he noticed the peculiar action, looking out of the window as well in hopes of seeing whatever Peke was looking at.

Y/n pulled away the blinds before opening the window, letting the air in the room change. The weather was nice today, but she had cram school she still had to attend. Fun, wasn't it?

Chifuyu smiled as he noticed Y/n pace around her room, her backpack in hand as she took stuff out. She had most likely just returned home, as she had mentioned they had a late student council meeting earlier.

As she walked around the room, Y/n spotted a black clothed figure sitting on a window in the building across from hers. She stopped, her eyes squinting. The slicked up hair could only indicate one person.

''Chifuyu!'' Y/n yelled out as she leaned out of the window, causing the boy to slightly jump in his seat and for Peke J to sit up, as if on guard. Y/n smiled as she noticed the pet on his lap. ''You have a cat?''

''Yeah!'' Chifuyu yelled back.

''Can I pet it?'' Y/n yelled again.

''Yeah, meet me downstairs!'' Chifuyu yelled out as well.

''Okay-''

''L/n Y/n, stop yelling!'' a neighbor showed up from one of the windows of Y/n's building, looking quite annoyed with the two teenagers.

''Sorry, Ishikawa-san!'' Y/n called and ducked back inside her room in embarrassment. Chifuyu was laughing at the exchange as Y/n showed out again, giving him thumbs-up before running away from the window.

Chifuyu chuckled again and got down from his window, making his way toward the front door where he let Peke J down so he can put on his shoes.

When he made it downstairs, Y/n was already there, waiting and wearing, once again, some casual clothes, a backpack slung over her shoulder. When he saw her at the window, she was still wearing her uniform - how had she managed to change that quick?

She kneeled down so she can get closer to Peke J's height and smiled at the black cat. The cat stood reluctantly in front of Y/n for a moment before approaching her and nuzzling his face in her outstretched hand.

''Awe,'' Y/n said as she stroked his head, causing Peke J to purr. Y/n laughed at his reaction and stood up again, but Peke J approached her and tried to climb up her leg, showing her wanted more pats.

''He likes you,'' Chifuyu said as he kept his hands in his pockets, turning around to sit down on the staircase.

''I thought he might scratch me in the beginning, to be honest,'' Y/n said as she sat down as well. ''He's cute. What's his name?''

''Peke J.''

''. . . What kinda cat name is that?''

''Shut up, it's cool!''

''. . . Whatever you say.'' Y/n chuckled as Peke J climbed on her lap and tried to grab her hand with his paws. She reached up and started stroking his fur again, causing Peke to curl into himself and close his eyes.

''I didn't know you have a cat,'' Y/n spoke suddenly.

''You don't know much about me to being with,'' Chifuyu pointed out, causing Y/n to roll her eyes. ''You have any pets?''

''I used to have a dog, but he passed away two years ago,'' Y/n said, smiling sadly at the memory of her beloved pet.

Chifuyu's smile falthered. ''Oh, I'm sorry.''

''It's fine, he was old anyway, so it was inevitable,'' Y/n said as she gave Chifuyu a toothy smile.

''Hey, look who's here!'' the two looked up to see none other than Baji approaching the staircase, his hair let down and his smile displaying his fangs.

''Hi, Baji,'' Y/n waved with her free hand.

''Haven't seen you in ages, Y/n,'' Baji said as he let himself fall on the staircase on Y/n's other side, leaning back on his elbows.

''It's been a few days.'' Y/n noticed his uniform was slightly messed up and there was something red staining the white fabric of his shirt. ''Did you eat ketchup?''

Baji looked down at his shirt, his eyes widening. ''Shit, that's blood! My mom's gonna end me!''

''You got into a fight again?'' Y/n asked the obvious before rolling her eyes. ''Just go rinse it under water and then rub it with soap until it's gone.''

''Shit, thanks Y/n! I gotta go do it now!'' Baji said as he rushed up the stairs to get home quicker.

Y/n laughed as he rushed up, turning to look at her watch, her eyes widening as she noticed the time. ''Fuck, I have to go or I'm gonna be late for cram school,'' she said as she stood up, waking up Peke J as she picked him up to give him back to Chifuyu. ''Thanks for letting me play with your cat, Chifuyu!''

''Yeah, sure,'' he said as he put Peke J down and stood up. ''I can give you a ride, if you want?''

She shook her head as she slowly started backing away from him. ''It's fine, I'll just run. Bye!''

Peke J meowed as he watched her go, looking up at Chifuyu for answers. ''She'll be back, Peke. Let's go back home.''

Peke likes her, so it must be a sign, right?