29. An Unimaginable Life

CW: This chapter has some brief  descriptions of gore. Proceed with caution.
_________________

"I now pronounce you husband and wife," The minister explains and my lips are suddenly met by Stephan's.

  I want to scream, I want to run away, hide, I want anything but to be where I am trapped right now. As much as I want to do all of these actions I can't.

  My feet feel as though they are glued to the ground. My voice is as though my vocal cords have been ripped out.

  I look out into the crowd and see the skeleton of my mother delicately placed in between Ryder and Father. Her corpse- rotting and foul. Father smirking and holding a stack of money. Ryder seeming so unapologetic.

  I turn slightly to the left and notice that Luke is also watching from the pews with a stopwatch in hand.

  I then turn to the other side of the pews and see Anthony with a gunshot through his head, and the rest of the Bridgerton family tearing up beside him. I want to throw up, to release any foul feelings brought from the disturbing sight.  It is only then that my attention is brought back to Stephan.

   I look down at him and notice a freshly fired duel gun in his hand. I notice splatters of blood all over him, along with a devilish smirk plastered across his face.

  I then look down at myself, noticing that I am indeed in a wedding dress, but it is stained red... with Anthony's blood.

"Anthony no!" I scream waking myself from my slumber, my heart beating, my voice hoarse, and my body in a cold sweat. I can't help but sob, hysterically, just as I was a few nights ago.

  "No, no, no... no," I repeat to myself between sobs.

  "Miss Kingston what is it?" One of the servants asks, presumably after hearing my breakdown.

   "It was just a night terror," I cough, "Get me, Ryder," I demand knowing that I truly am not in the mood to talk, but also knowing that talking is the best thing for me as of now.

  "As you wish," The servant replies before running off.

  Not even five seconds later Ryder rushes into my chambers, I assume I accidentally woke him as well.

  "Veronica!" He yells I can tell concerned, "Was it of mother again?"

  "No, not really," I sob, "Ryder if you have ever loved me I beg of you to do me a favor,"

  "What is it, my sister?" Ryder asks taking my hand.

   "Get Anthony Bridgerton. I need to see him. I need to see him, Ryder," I demand my voice scratchy.

  "But it's the middle of the night. It would be the most improper and-"

  "Ryder I am begging you, please do this for me," I plea once more squeezing his hand, "If you love me at all you will do this for me. I need him, I need Anthony right now,"

  "Fine," He finally replies after a minute of debate, "But you owe me, and if father finds out I shall not be taking the fall,"

  "Yes, of course," I whimper, "Now please go,"

  And with that, I am left alone in my darkroom once more. The air feels colder than usual despite the sweat dripping down my neck.

  I have to convince myself that the smell of gunpowder I am experiencing is simply a figment of my imagination. It isn't gunpowder, but the smell of the rain hitting the stone streets outside.