CHAPTER 28

The next chapter will be the last chapter 🥺

______

Selena felt a comforting kind of warmth around her and slowly opened her eyes. She was laying on soft grass and looked up to a crystal-clear sky. In the corner of her eye, she noticed a light shimmering. Curious to see what it was, the girl stood up and walked through the green grass. While the grass tickled her bare legs, Selena kept moving forward the light. Comfort and warmth coming from it.

"Selena." Selena spun around, the white dress she was wearing fluttering around her body.

"Mum!", Selena replied, when she saw her mother standing at the other side of the meadow. The blonde girl started running as fast as she could. For a short second, she thought that her mother would just vanish into air, but suddenly, she found herself in her mothers' arms.

"What are you doing here?", Selena asked happily and wrapped her arms around her mother's torso, squeezing her tightly. Her mother stroked the blonde hair of her little daughter before breaking the hug to look at her. Selena did the same. She looked just, like she remembered her mother. The reddish-brown curls that fell on her shoulders just perfectly and her green eyes, sparkling with pure happiness.

"The question is, what are you doing here?", Selena heard another voice say. A voice, she got to meet first not too long ago. Selena turned her head to see Talia walking up to them.

"I-I don't know. Where are we?"

"Your subconscious. It's like a world between life and death. Scott brought you inside the one of Derek once.", Talia explained and Selena suddenly understood.

"I gave Derek the power of the alpha. But I couldn't give him the power of Stiles as well.", Selena said quietly and lowered her head, when she saw her mother smile slightly.

"Was it, because you were not able to, or because you didn't want to?", her mother asked calmly and placed a hand on Selena's pale cheek. She had always seen right through her lies.

"Stiles said, that I was meant to be something bigger than a human. But I believe, that death was meant for me. I was born a moon goddess, as someone whose own power could kill me. Then I was human and I was supposed to die inside this fire with you and dad. And if I would have been a werewolf, I would have been supposed to die in the fire with you. I'm not meant to live.", Selena said truthfully and let her eyes wander between her mother and Talia. Wherever Selena was right now, she felt peace for the first time in forever. She remembered all the bad things, but finally didn't feel the pain anymore. She felt free.

"My love, you survived all of that, because you are meant to live a much bigger life than all of us. You have a brother now. He's your family and you both are meant to carry on the Hales legacy. There was a reason, that you and Derek both survived those tragedies." Selena nodded while feeling her mother running her fingers over her cheeks carefully. Selena thought about Derek, how they both were the only family they had left now. She thought about Stiles and how she had just started to fall for him. And she thought about Scott, Allison, Kira, Isaac and Lydia and how they had risked their lives just to save hers. Selena knew, that leaving them would be wrong. Dying would be selfish.

While she stood in the comforting light of death, she suddenly understood, that it was not an end she was craving for. It was a new beginning.

"Go back now, darling.", Talia said and took Selenas hand in her own.

"How? I didn't pass Stiles power. It's too late."

"Then take it by your own. Fight your goddess and become a werewolf. And then, you go back." Selena nodded and took the hand of her mother, squeezing both hands of the elder woman before closing her eyes. She could feel their presences vanish and knew it was time.

Time to become a werewolf.