S.H.I.E.L.D. Goes Down

《《 ☆ 》》

《《 ☆ 》》

When Marlene says that she hates doctors, she means it. She doesn't hate them for the typical reasons regular civilians do; needles, hospitals, and even the smell they carry on their working clothes. While those were contributing factors, they were not the only reasons. 

She hated doctors because of how nosy they were. 

Apparently, being in a fight with a highly trained, brainwashed assassin meant a necessary check-up. 

Marlene heavily insisted she was fine, but Steve did not have the energy to deal with his stubborn sister. He did not care if she said she was fine or not. He did not care if she was perfectly fine. He needed to know if she was okay or not. 

Her check-up determined she had two bruised ribs, that were beginning to heal fine on their own. She would have been cleared for fighting had it not been for her mild concussion. 

Instead, she was on flying duty. She was meant to fly in the stupid helicopter and fly it out. 

She absolutely hated that task. She wanted to be in the field, fighting alongside her friends and brother. 

Her job was simple; fly Fury in, and fly the others out. 

"Attention, all SHIELD agents," Marlene heard over the radio. "This is Steve Rogers. You've heard a lot about me over the last few days, some of you were even ordered to hunt me down. But I think it's time you know the truth. SHIELD is not what we thought it was, it's been taken over by HYDRA. Alexander Pierce is their leader. The STRIKE and Insight crew are HYDRA as well. I don't know how many more, but I know they're in the building. They could be standing right next to you. They almost have what they want: absolute control. They shot Nick Fury and it won't end there. If you launch those Helicarriers today, HYDRA will be able to kill anyone that stands in their way, unless we stop them. I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not."

"Did you write that down first, or was it off the top of your head?" Sam replied with a small smile. 

Marlene hated the waiting game, and that's exactly what this was. She barely knew what was happening in the field. She only knew the parts that came over the comms, but even then she was limited to useful information. 

It was at that moment did Marlene realize that she finally knew what families felt like while their loved ones were off fighting the war. During World War ll, she didn't have that feeling. She could always drown herself in her inventions, in her work as a spy. There was no need for her to sit around and fret about the unknown. 

The more she thought about it, she was lucky in a sense. The only really fretting she did while fighting the war was when she heard Bucky was originally taken by Hydra. After that, she was beside her brother and fiance the entire war. She fought beside them up until their 'deaths'.